Sign in to follow this  

Bogging out crf

Hi guys I just got a 2004 honda crf250r when I start it and let it idle for a bit to warm it up the bike runs great, but when I give it twist the throttle really quick the engine either starts to lose power or sometimes the engine will just quit. When I somewhat gradually give it gas it's works just fine. It only acts up when I twist the throttle really fast. What do you guys think is wrong? Thanks

They will all do that before they are really warmed up. Try it after riding for 10-15 minutes and I bet it doesn't do it. I swear around here if you had a problem with your forks somebody would reply "valves".

They will all do that before they are really warmed up. Try it after riding for 10-15 minutes and I bet it doesn't do it. I swear around here if you had a problem with your forks somebody would reply "valves".

Lol thanks for the help man

Try richening your mixture screw a little and see what happens. Ive had success with that. Somethin to try. Its free.

Try checking out the carb, I have an 04 , it has no bog. Very responsive, crack the throttle from down low and she stands up.

Try checking out the carb, I have an 04 , it has no bog. Very responsive, crack the throttle from down low and she stands up.

I have a 04, just purchased, bogs when you crack it real quick, I put a 42 slow in it, wired the accelerator and shaved it a bit, even put in a dual spray kit with larger leak jet, still same bog...any ideas?  I'd swear it feels rich, but not really sure. What do you have yours at?

Most likely an accelerator pump issue. Also, try using carb cleaner and compressed air and do a really good clean job.

"It only acts up when I twist the throttle really fast. What do you guys think is wrong? Thanks"

If you can, pull the air box off the carb and look for a brass nozzle sticking up to the right of center just ahead of the throttle slide. It's where the accel pump squirts fuel to help the engine get up to speed until the normal fuel circuits can take over.

Turn on the fuel, and have someone twist the throttle quickly once or twice. Do you see a spray of fuel?

Don't do this very much as you will be flooding the engine...

Edited by techgreg

I replace it with a dual spray kit from FMF, helped a bit, most of the stumble is gone, I may just be bogging the bike too much, I trail ride a lot, and sometimes require a quick blip to clear an obstacle, thats when it seems to let me down, if I plan ahead i can roll on the throttle and get the front up that way, but it isnt always an option.  I am going to try a smaller slow jet next, it feels too rich.