ENTER OUR GIVEAWAY!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

2012 RMZ 450 near brand new with less than 4 hours on it. What's it worth?

Just curious to know what the real world value is on this rmz 450. Bike is for sale locally and it looks like it should be sitting on the showroom floor. No case wear and the tires still have the brand new lines on them from the factory.

Literally as new as it gets for a used bike. Hes asking $5k but said he'd go $4800. Im strongly considering buying it but im not sure what an accurate value would be on it. What would you pay for it?

I'm seeing deals on ebay where places are having blowout sales on the brand new 14 model RMZ 450 for $5,599.99. At that ridiculously low price for a brand new 14, it kind of kills used market for the year or two old rmz's right?

Is $4800 a good deal on a basically new 12? He's throwing in some new gear with it as well.

As for book value, $4800 is a probably a good deal. Average retail (what you could expect to pay for it at a dealership, bike in excellent condition) is $5595. So if it's like new, it's $800 below book..

That is a fair price if it truly only has 4 hours on it. but you are still potentially paying for someone else's mistakes. I would try to get him down to $4500 max although I only paid $5500 for one that had never had a drop of fuel in it. Keep in mind that was right after the 13's came out so if you could find a brand  new leftover 12' I would expect to pay close to what he is asking.

Edited by BDubb106

Heres the link. It is def a legit 4 hour bike...

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4509353468.html

I appreciate the responses fellas! I was thinking right in line with everything you guys said. He had the bike listed for $5500 OBO as of yesterday. After talking to him and him sending me pics of what he had to go with it, I offered $4500 for the bike, new tech 8's and the one industries gear he has. He came back at $4800 for all of that. He also has a sick Troy Lee se3 lid that he sent me pics of. I said I'd go $4800 today if he would include the helmet. He declined again. So we are at a stale mate. I feel for anymore than that... almost brand new or not, there are prob other better deals to be had. I told him those 2 offers are where I stand and lmk if he changes his mind.

Heres the link. It is def a legit 4 hour bike...

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4509353468.html

I appreciate the responses fellas! I was thinking right in line with everything you guys said. He had the bike listed for $5500 OBO as of yesterday. After talking to him and him sending me pics of what he had to go with it, I offered $4500 for the bike, new tech 8's and the one industries gear he has. He came back at $4800 for all of that. He also has a sick Troy Lee se3 lid that he sent me pics of. I said I'd go $4800 today if he would include the helmet. He declined again. So we are at a stale mate. I feel for anymore than that... almost brand new or not, there are prob other better deals to be had. I told him those 2 offers are where I stand and lmk if he changes his mind.

I would stand firm at $4500. Even with that hour meter those cases say it has more than 4 hours on it unless he is A. a pro rider, or B. is a really aggressive rider that rode a lot of wet sand in which case the motor was probably ridden hard (which is not always a bad thing) even though he says he is only a recreational rider. Those cases show a ton of boot rub. Not to take away from the topic but my cases had right around 15 hours of B class MX and a few crashes on them when these pics were taken. There are a few minor scratches and some minor boot rub but nothing quite like that. 

DSCN0632_zps3369278c.jpg

DSCN0631_zps3394cdef.jpg

Well damn... i was thinking it was super clean until you just did that comparison for me. You might be right. It might have more than 4 hours on it or its been ridden by an aggressive rider. Yeah... i think $4500 is fair on that bike. Anymore than that and it's too much. I've seen some screaming deals on some 13 model crf's for less and they both had some nice extras on them. Just a little more wear cases wise and more hours but they were only $4k. Found a 10 rmz 450 for $3k but same deal... more hours and more wear.

Just looking for that RIGHT deal on the RIGHT bike. Im not necessarily brand loyal. I've always ridden Hondas but I've been itching to try the RMZ. 2010-up.

Outside of that, I'm also looking at 08-09 yz 450f's, 08 crf 450's for cheaper carb'd bikes or I'll spend more for a solid fuel injected bike. The rmz, 13 crf, factory edition 12 or 13 ktm 450, etc. Just something clean with low hours that's been cared for or hardly ridden more than anything else.

Edited by Neversatisfied02
  • Like 1

Well damn... i was thinking it was super clean until you just did that comparison for me. You might be right. It might have more than 4 hours on it or its been ridden by an aggressive rider. Yeah... i think $4500 is fair on that bike. Anymore than that and it's too much. I've seen some screaming deals on some 13 model crf's for less and they both had some nice extras on them. Just a little more wear cases wise and more hours but they were only $4k. Found a 10 rmz 450 for $3k but same deal... more hours and more wear.

Just looking for that RIGHT deal on the RIGHT bike. Im not necessarily brand loyal. I've always ridden Hondas but I've been itching to try the RMZ. 2010-up.

Outside of that, I'm also looking at 08-09 yz 450f's, 08 crf 450's for cheaper carb'd bikes or I'll spend more for a solid fuel injected bike. The rmz, 13 crf, factory edition 12 or 13 ktm 450, etc. Just something clean with low hours that's been cared for or hardly ridden more than anything else.

That doesn't mean it is a bad bike and I could always be wrong... I just think $4500 would be my top # on that bike. Heck I wouldn't even ask that for my bike. For a few hundred more you can go buy a left over 13-14' with zero hours on it so there is no question about how much time is on it. 

I wouldn't shy away from a 13' CRF either. They are super nice bikes! If I was a little smaller I would have picked one up in a heart beat! I really liked it, it just felt small to me so I wasn't really comfortable on it. I loved everything else about it though.

I'm with you though. You can't really go wrong with any clean 450 now a days. They are all really similar and really good bikes once set up right, and no joke... after riding FI I will never go back to a carbed bike. Nothing wrong with them. The FI is just sooooo much easier. Esp after my Yz's because they were so touchy to jetting. 

The decision is yours for sure but I am very leary about buying used bikes... esp when there are obvious red flags.

Yeah, I feel the same way on that price. I even sent him a link to a new 14 that they want $5599.99 for as a blowout price to show he's a little high on his asking price for his 12. Might as well pay the $800 more and get a brand new bike that's that's years newer.

See, I love the 13 Hondas. I'm a little bigger rider though so it's borderline cramped but i like that it feels light and handles well. I'm just under 6'0" and a solid 225 lbs. I need a bike with some kick to lug my big ass around and the Honda is on the tame side for power. That's my only reservation.

And I agree completely. My buddy has an 08 crf 450 that I've ridden a handful of times and I really like it but it feels bigger and more bulky than the 13 crf by a good bit. Throttle response is so smooth on the FI 13. It's not bad on the 08 but it's def old technology. I'm leaning toward fuel injected myself as a requirement.

That 12 was exactly what I was looking for condition wise though. I want a bike that someone hasn't ridden much and is still pretty much brand new. Of course I expect a little wear but u know when a bikes been beat to death. I just want a clean one that's been well maintained.

Yeah, I feel the same way on that price. I even sent him a link to a new 14 that they want $5599.99 for as a blowout price to show he's a little high on his asking price for his 12. Might as well pay the $800 more and get a brand new bike that's that's years newer.

See, I love the 13 Hondas. I'm a little bigger rider though so it's borderline cramped but i like that it feels light and handles well. I'm just under 6'0" and a solid 225 lbs. I need a bike with some kick to lug my big ass around and the Honda is on the tame side for power. That's my only reservation.

And I agree completely. My buddy has an 08 crf 450 that I've ridden a handful of times and I really like it but it feels bigger and more bulky than the 13 crf by a good bit. Throttle response is so smooth on the FI 13. It's not bad on the 08 but it's def old technology. I'm leaning toward fuel injected myself as a requirement.

That 12 was exactly what I was looking for condition wise though. I want a bike that someone hasn't ridden much and is still pretty much brand new. Of course I expect a little wear but u know when a bikes been beat to death. I just want a clean one that's been well maintained.

I would for sure try to grab that if he will negotiate on the price. I wouldn't be so quick to give up on it. It still looks like a nice clean bike. I bet it doesn't have a ton of hours on it, and it looks like it was well kept after. I just don't buy the whole 4 hour thing.

Anyways, I am 6'4 225-230 and that is the exact reason I chose the RMZ and shy'ed away from the CRF. The RMZ just fit. I really liked the Yami as well. That thing felt really good but would have taken a bit more to suit my riding style. The motor was almost too aggressive for my liking.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/4458773659.html

This bike look clapped out to you? I can get it for a good bit less than his asking price and it's got a lot of nice goodies on it.

The link has been deleted.

Oh I'm not giving up. But if he won't come down to $4500, I'm going to keep looking. The bike looks nice. Cleaner than most I've seen for sale lately for sure. But price plays a big factor. I refuse to overpay. It must be the right bike and the right deal. I'm picky that way. Lol

And yeah, at that size, I can understand you feeling cramped on the crf. I fit on it fine but it's at that borderline where I could be a little bigger but at the same time, I love that it feel small under me and light weight.

Here's the new link. Weird thing is... it was listed for $4950 on the last ad with a few different pics. Now it's gone up in price but he says he's including stock parts so maybe that's why. I've been texting him back and forth for a bit. A few red flags though... The bike has some damage to the left side that he purposely didn't show in the pic. Seat is scraped, number plate is scuffed and the left silencer has a small dent in it. He claims 49 hours but it didn't look like it in the other pics he had posted. Either that or it just looked like he didn't clean it really well after riding. He offered it to me as it sits on stock wheels though for $4k. He's a few hours away so I asked for close ups of the shifter side case cover, the damage and asked him to remove the seat and send pics of the frame wear as well. He has yet to do so and now he's changing his price up on me. Bike looks like it has some nice stuff on it but the guy isn't very professional in the way he does business.

• Like 1

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/4510670557.html

That is the new link. Phone gives me trouble with copy and paste sometimes.

I'll also post a link to a clean 08 I've had my eye on for a couple weeks. Guy is firm at $3200 so not the greatest deal but wouldn't be bad for $3000. That's if i want to get into carb'd bike territory again. Lol

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4466420295.html

That's the 08.

Oh I'm not giving up. But if he won't come down to $4500, I'm going to keep looking. The bike looks nice. Cleaner than most I've seen for sale lately for sure. But price plays a big factor. I refuse to overpay. It must be the right bike and the right deal. I'm picky that way. Lol

And yeah, at that size, I can understand you feeling cramped on the crf. I fit on it fine but it's at that borderline where I could be a little bigger but at the same time, I love that it feel small under me and light weight.

Here's the new link. Weird thing is... it was listed for $4950 on the last ad with a few different pics. Now it's gone up in price but he says he's including stock parts so maybe that's why. I've been texting him back and forth for a bit. A few red flags though... The bike has some damage to the left side that he purposely didn't show in the pic. Seat is scraped, number plate is scuffed and the left silencer has a small dent in it. He claims 49 hours but it didn't look like it in the other pics he had posted. Either that or it just looked like he didn't clean it really well after riding. He offered it to me as it sits on stock wheels though for $4k. He's a few hours away so I asked for close ups of the shifter side case cover, the damage and asked him to remove the seat and send pics of the frame wear as well. He has yet to do so and now he's changing his price up on me. Bike looks like it has some nice stuff on it but the guy isn't very professional in the way he does business.

He probably doesn't want to sell it... I've heard this story before. Guys will get a little interest in what they are selling even though they don't want to sell it so they raise the price. The only reason it is for sale is because the wife wants it gone so husband says it is for sale, I'm trying. 

Either way, it is clean. I think that is a better deal than the RMZ personally (pending how severe the damage is). Tell him to keep the wheels if he is adding $1500 to the asking price for a set of $600 wheels.

4k is a great deal... Again though, if he wants 5500 for it, why not pick up a brand new bike for $100 more?

Edited by BDubb106

If the gear is all the right size for you the rmz sounds like a steal. Boots and gear adds up quick, go there with cash and i bet he'll give you the deal you want,

Yeah... The wife deal may very well be the case.

The damage on the 13 crf isn't bad. Quarter sized dent in the silencer and some scuffs on the seat and number plate. Nothing major. The bike does have more hours on it than the rmz though. He claims 49 and that's what his hour meter reads but judging on shifter side wear and wear on the frame where the shrouds touch that showed in the other pics he had posted, i'd bet it's a little more than that. It does have some nice extras on it though.

He listed for $5500 just like the guy with the RMZ. He told me $4k on stock wheels. Now he's telling me $4500 on stock wheels and he wants to put the stock clutch back on the bike and snag some other parts off of it. I said wait a min... you already gave me a price for the bike as it sits but on stock wheels and now you're raising that price and wanting to snag some of the goodies off of it? So needless to say, I told him that's not a professional way to do business and he should stick to his word if he says he's willing to do something. I haven't seen a 13 crf for $5600 but the 15 rmz's can be had for that. Add shipping and whatever other fees and im at $6000 or a hair over it.

Yeah... The gear all fits. $500 Troy Lee helmet, brand new size 11 tech 10's ($450) and one industries gear that are 34 pants and large jersey. Might be a little tight but it'll work. I figure I can chalk it up that I'm paying $500 for the boots and helmet if he throws them in so in reality, if he goes $4800 for everything, I'm getting the bike itself for $4300. Not a stellar deal but the bike is very clean with low hours even if it's not exactly 4. It's not many. And... The rmz is 20 mins from me vs the crf that is almost 4 hours away. I really was digging the crf until the guy got all wishy washy on me. Just seems like a red flag.

• Like 1

Yeah... The wife deal may very well be the case.

The damage on the 13 crf isn't bad. Quarter sized dent in the silencer and some scuffs on the seat and number plate. Nothing major. The bike does have more hours on it than the rmz though. He claims 49 and that's what his hour meter reads but judging on shifter side wear and wear on the frame where the shrouds touch that showed in the other pics he had posted, i'd bet it's a little more than that. It does have some nice extras on it though.

He listed for $5500 just like the guy with the RMZ. He told me $4k on stock wheels. Now he's telling me $4500 on stock wheels and he wants to put the stock clutch back on the bike and snag some other parts off of it. I said wait a min... you already gave me a price for the bike as it sits but on stock wheels and now you're raising that price and wanting to snag some of the goodies off of it? So needless to say, I told him that's not a professional way to do business and he should stick to his word if he says he's willing to do something. I haven't seen a 13 crf for $5600 but the 15 rmz's can be had for that. Add shipping and whatever other fees and im at $6000 or a hair over it.

I would pass on the CRF now... the whole deal just seems fishy to me. 

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly. If he was close, i'd go with cash and make an offer based on what I see condition wise. Pics can cover up a lot of flaws. I was just hesitant to make the drive out there to find out the bike is clapped out. $4k for a 13 though is pretty good even if it has been ridden but I'd rather find one without the wishy washy business.

What did yall think of that 08 I posted the link to?

I think I'm going to pull $4800 out of the bank and take a ride over to see that RMZ. Obviously I'll shoot to take it and everything he has to go with it home for less but $4800 might not be too bad of a deal if the bike is as clean as it looks and all the gear is new. The gear he has is quality stuff.

Keep in mind the $5600 new price on a 14 RMZ does not include setup or destination fees dealer doc fees and sales tax. Get an OTD price for comparison sake. That said if you can find one for $5600 otd jump on that!