Sign in to follow this  

How does my sparkplug look?

Hey guys i just seized an engine 3 weeks ago and it costed me 600$!!! Now i went from a 185 to 195 main jet and 1 clip richer on the needle i was running 195 and it looked a bit lean and went up to 200 and now it looks like this but boggs if i go in low gear from example 3000rpm to 11000rpm and it will bog around 10000rpm sometimes.but not always.

Here are the pics and im going dirtbiking later.

1402331100460.jpg

1402331109933.jpg

1402331118783.jpg

I'm not going to pretend i know what im talking about, however i can tell you that thats leaner than mine look.

I wouldn't be tuning by the plug color. It's BS :rolleyes: . Tune by ear and feel. Different fuels and oils will give you different readings and colors on the plug. It's like tuning by smoke :lol: .

You want the bike as rich as possible but still running clean. Don't get sucked into thinking that leaning an engine will give you more power. The ONLY time you should lean an engine is if It's running too rich. That's the ONLY time leaning an engine will give you more power.

Engines run better when they are running cooler, an engine running at the correct temps is a more powerful and more efficient engine. Fuel is cold, more fuel = a cooler running engine. A cooler running engine = more power :thumbsup: .

With the Pilot Jet. Get it rich off the bottom (Splattery, running rough), needle on the middle clip for starters. Then just lean it off until it revs cleanly. Firstly using the needle on a higher clip, just one clip higher before you try a leaner Pilot Jet. Once it has good throttle response and revs clean on the stand you tune the top end. Main Jet. 

With the main Jet. Get it slightly rich so It's 4 stroking up top when you ride it (Splattering) and then just go one size smaller on the main jet so it runs clean up in the top end.

The perfect tune is to have as much fuel as possible going through the engine without the engine running rich. Get it rich first and then just lean it off as little as possible with each change until It's right. Once It's right you'll feel the bike pull harder and hear it rev cleaner.

Edited by AddictedToBling

Hello and thanks for your post, when i was running the 185 main jet which was too lean it ran perfect. I now have a 200 but sputters heavily sometimes at high rpm but im not sure if its the jetting or because my sparkplug cap wasnt completly seated. Im just very scared or seizing it again the bottom end runs lean i hear it sputter and im fine with that like at 1/4-1/2 it sputters

Hello and thanks for your post, when i was running the 185 main jet which was too lean it ran perfect. I now have a 200 but sputters heavily sometimes at high rpm but im not sure if its the jetting or because my sparkplug cap wasnt completly seated. Im just very scared or seizing it again the bottom end runs lean i hear it sputter and im fine with that like at 1/4-1/2 it sputters

Where's the needle clip?

And is it starving for fuel at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle or getting too much fuel? My guess would be that It's actually starving for fuel and too lean. Does it kind of feel like you've accidently hit the kill switch quickly when it happens?

Its at before last clip it was 3rd from bottle when i seized my engine so i went richer

Sounds like you need to go up one on the Pilot jet and put the clip back to the centre to start off with. 

Pilot Jet tunes the low end, Main Jet tunes the top end. Get the low end right first.

Ok and if i seized my engine running 185 main jet going up to 200 is that enough you think? The manual says 185 for my temp and alititude, looks like its too lean if i seized it haha so should 200 be good? I also have a 205

Ok and if i seized my engine running 185 main jet going up to 200 is that enough you think? The manual says 185 for my temp and alititude, looks like its too lean if i seized it haha so should 200 be good? I also have a 205

May not have anything to do with the tune at all.

Leave the 200 in for the moment and get the bottom end right first.

May not have anything to do with the tune at all.

Leave the 200 in for the moment and get the bottom end right first.

I have a thermostat and temp guage, the thermostat opens at 82℃

When my engine seized it was at 82℃ so it must be the jetting no?

I have a thermostat and temp guage, the thermostat opens at 82℃

When my engine seized it was at 82℃ so it must be the jetting no?

Good chance it was but shit does happen also :lol: .

BTW. What is the bike? I'm assuming It's a KTM.

Good chance it was but shit does happen also :lol: .

BTW. What is the bike? I'm assuming It's a KTM.

Yea its a 150sx 2013 with 150hrs, and i changed to yamahalube 4 rides before it blew up any coinsidence there?

Yea its a 150sx 2013 with 150hrs, and i changed to yamahalube 4 rides before it blew up any coinsidence there?

Never used it sorry mate.

Wow this forum is really turning me off KTM. Your plugs look lean as shit. Did it seize while you were doing high rpm or low?