Sign in to follow this  

showa sff vs wp open cartridge

hi there 

i want to make a point over the showa sff fork(from the oem kawasaki,suzuki) vs the old wp open cartridge( 2006 ktm  and backwards)

i have on my bike a wp o.c. and a friend of mine sells (cheap ) a pair of showa sff fork...

im interested of buying it...what do you thing it would be a decent upgrade?

hi there 

i want to make a point over the showa sff fork(from the oem kawasaki,suzuki) vs the old wp open cartridge( 2006 ktm  and backwards)

i have on my bike a wp o.c. and a friend of mine sells (cheap ) a pair of showa sff fork...

im interested of buying it...what do you thing it would be a decent upgrade?

From what I have experienced the WP OC was pretty good, I have ridden a few 525s and 530 that were setup and every bit as good as a showa, but this was stritcly offroad desert stuff. That SFF is going to require at least an axle front brake change to make it fit, it might work in the clamps being 48mm I dont know what the OD of the tubes are on the WP.. depending on what you do it might be harder to make work if you were a woods rider but for mx might work decent.

the matter is that  i can found a showa sff cheap...

from people that have done it i know that i must use a honda axle with custom spacers,and the standard oem wheel(ktm)

custom spacers can be 

a)oem spacers grided

b)oem spacers plus a washer

also the showa fork is a bit thinner in the upper triple clap and needs a sheet of aluminium between the for and the clamp

if i buy the fork i will put a new spring,oil seals etc

and i believe its going to work...

if i dont do that a should buy a closed cartridge fork from a yz or something

if i put a wp again is going to be alot of money....

wp is pricey wp cone valve has somewhere about 1800dollars...