Sign in to follow this  

Trail Tech Vector, a slight issue?

I have a Trail Tech Vector computer bc my stock odometer got waterlogged from a long day riding in the heavy rain.  It's worked great for a year, but my last ride the mileage/hour meters that I reset for each ride started glitching and resetting themselves.

The final count on the odometer still registered the full ride, but the trip meters kept resetting themselves.  But since then, I've gone riding and the odometer worked fine. 

Any ideas?  Anyone had this issue? 

I have a Vapor on mine and its worked fine for a couple years until about 6 weeks ago and then I started having this same issue. Mine is wired into the bikes power system but I still had to do the following to get it to work properly again. Replaced coin cell battery in the unit, Bend the metal contact tabs that the cell sits against to increase tension to the battery and also put a small piece of cardboard between the back of the cell and the cover to increase pressure to the contacts below when the cover was put back on. Checked the power connection to my bikes battery from the Vapor unit and put some di electric grease on the contacts to the bikes battery and finally, checked and realigned the speedo sensor to the magnet pickup. I did all these one at a time except for the last two mentioned which were done at the same time and it cured my reset problem.

EDIT: One last thing I did when replacing the internal coin battery was to open the entire case to check if there was moisture inside (from washing the bike) on the circuit board causing part of my problem but it was dry. Just something else to think about as a possible cause.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  Sounds like it's a battery problem, which is just maintenance.

But the Vector has been on my bike since July of 2013, I've ridden about 60 hours since then (I know, I don't ride enough).  Does that sound about right?  Or could my odometer have been sitting on the shelf for awhile, hence the battery dying quickly??

I have Vapors on my bikes and they seem to need a new battery every years, even when connected to bike power.

Yeah I hooked mine up to the lithium battery, something went wrong because it shorted out the battery and melted the wires connected to the odometer.

My electrical engineer neighbor said to ground it to the frame.  Dunno what happened.  That was part of what lead to me ripping off my estarter--new battery (150.00), another estarter cover bc the new one broke first ride ($130.00), trickle charger (100.00).  In the end I just bought a 2008 ignition cover and gasket for 80.00.  Plus I saved 8 lbs.

A lot of bikes use the frame as part of the stator circuit so it is AC ground. Which will not play well with a DC device. On those bikes. ALL grounds have to be tied to the battery negative terminal.

Edited by gots_a_sol

I second the idea of snugly fitting the battery with a small piece of cardboard to take up all the slack. My Striker computer was doing the same thing and Trail Tech's suggestion of keeping the battery snugly in place worked like a charm.