Sign in to follow this  

Lacing a wheel.

Well since my buddy started powder coating stuff, i have powder coating fever. I want to get my hubs done but idk about having to relace a wheel. Can i just use the old spokes? And is it really that hard a cant do it myself?

Anyone can do it. They really only go one way. As long as you can get the nipples off the spokes without deforming them, they should go back on fine. Make sure to watch some videos if you are confused. I've laced 4 wheels this year for the first time with no video help. Once you see how it goes, it's super easy.

• Like 1

My advice would be to do it in a color that won't clash with the bike. My last yz250 had red hubs, and it would have been too big of a PITA to change them.

Black, silver, chrome or whatever color your bike is stock would be a good start.

• Like 1

when you take em off...pay attention to the pattern they have. Its gravy. 

Blue is the best color. If your bikes not blue, sell it (or drive it off a cliff) and buy a blue one and do the hubs on it.

when you take em off...pay attention to the pattern they have. Its gravy.

Blue is the best color. If your bikes not blue, sell it (or drive it off a cliff) and buy a blue one and do the hubs on it.

God thing its already blue... Saved me a couple of steps already. But is it ok to use the old spokes?

God thing its already blue... Saved me a couple of steps already. But is it ok to use the old spokes?

Yes u can reuse spokes. Give em a once-over and a cleaning just to check.  put a little anti seize on the threads. Definitely check tightness a few times during your first couple rides and im sure youll be golden.