Sign in to follow this  

Highway capable?

Ive been looking around for my first dual sport bike and I found a really nice 08 km xcf250 for a great price and since im planning on being able to do some highway riding and I was just wondering if it was any good for highway? Thanks guys/gals.

i havnt done much highway riding but im pretty sure that bike would work fine but since its only a 250 you might want to gear the bike so its not high rpm's for long periods of time because thats horrible on the engine. like i said, i havnt done much riding myself but that seems like what i would do.

Cool thanks holden...do you have any recommendations for other bikes to because I've been looking around for a while but I just can make up my mind

I have an 12 husky Te 310 , absolutely love the bike , its awsome for connecting the trails , but wouldn t recommend it for commuting or just street riding , if your gonna be on the street alot check out the wr 250r or crf250l , have fun and good luck.

Are you talking 55m/h two-lane, or 75m/h interstate?

And for how long (miles)?

You're going to give up already limited torque for top-speed on a smallbore bike like that by regearing it.  You'll never find a single "good" gearing combo for both dirt and highway.

Will it do it?  Probably.  Comfortably?  No.

Even my 525 leaves me wanting a little more when I get over 65m/h, and it's geared at a nice mid-range ratio.

FILE1226-1-L.jpg

Cool thanks holden...do you have any recommendations for other bikes to because I've been looking around for a while but I just can make up my mind

I'd get larger than a 250 (preferably 450 or bigger again) for highway use. You will want a WR transmission, a good seat and good tires.

I did 140 KM at highway speed on Tuesday on a 200EXC, it wasnt overly comfortable and got blown around a lot. But the bike seemed ok.

That was in a street jacket and helmet though. Dirt gear would have sucked ass in the wind and in a fall.

Thanks for all the feedback guys its even a big help...there is a street legal ktm400exc for sale right now that would be a lot better but if I see a 450 or 35125th I will go for that

Thanks for all the feedback guys its even a big help...there is a street legal ktm400exc for sale right now that would be a lot better but if I see a 450 or 525 I will go for that