Sign in to follow this  

California How do guys ride in 95+ degress

Looking for tips and tricks to combat dehydration.

Supplements, gear etc.

Last year I went for a ride in 102deg and very humid, I had to cut ride short and turn around barely made it back to the house. One ambulance ride and 6 bottles of saline solution later I finally was able to stand without my entire body cramping up. No fun at all.

Ever since, I'm reluctant to ride in the heat.

Lots of frickin water. Not sure about where you are, but when it's a dead air (0 wind) and 100+ outside, it feels like riding in an oven. It's almost unbearable. The air you breath hurts. It's currently 102 out right now and I won't ride in it.

90's I'll ride to work and back, but that's about it, and it's only 12 miles away. But I usually just hop in the truck with the AC.

I do like riding in the evening in this weather though. Sun is more or less setting, and it's 90-ish outside, but the sun isn't beating on you, so it feels nice.

EDIT: years ago I was riding home from old job that was 60 miles away, and I think it was 110+ that day if I remember right. My gawd, I thought I was going to die. Literally. I got off on every exit and went into a 7-11 and bought a Gatorade. People were looking at me like I was on crack. Sweat dripping. From every where, I probably looked like I was about to faint, and felt like it too. Just a miserable ride. I'm in my 40's now and have nothing to prove haha. I used to ride rain or shine, but now, pfft, I'm goldilocks lol. It's gotta be in that sweet spot temperature.

Edited by Old Goat Ninja
  • Like 1

I soak all my gear in water helmet included before the ride or race, and drink lots of water the week before!! Once you get overheated its over with. Aint no cooling down fast no matter what you do.

• Like 3

Start tanking up on water a minimum of two days prior to a long ride if your going to be out in it. Pack as much water as you can for the ride, eat a couple bananas a day during. Drink a couple of sport drinks along with the water. Fitness? What is that? Just nourish your temple and you will be fine.

To get your body to retain more water you should be sipping a high electrolyte solution such as pedialyte and following it up with water starting at least the day before your ride. You should be drinking at least a gallon of water per day.

It's about core temp, not dehydration.

If you core temp gets too high, all the water drinking in the world won't change a thing.

Obviously, dehydration is not good either, but it is more easily prevented.

Eating very light two days before helps me a lot

Soaking the riding gear over and over as you ride helps too

Some guys put a 'blue ice' in the top of their helmet. That lasts about 15 min.

For me, somedays, nothing works. 

hydration, electrolites, all good. also don't stop. don't go on your technical ride on hotter days. keep rolling. ride close to the truck too.

I saw a special on Natgeo (I think), anyways, it was about some seriously crazy mother hubbards that liked extreme running. They ran across the most severe desert in saudi arabia, ( I think it was). 130 deg was the norm, they said you had to train your body to deal with the heat much like you would train a muscle to be stronger or faster.

So thats the approach Im going after. Been cycling in this weather and that has been going Ok so far but I dont have all the gear, helmet, and hot ass bike on me. All good tips though.

Was hoping for a magical pill or something :banghead:

seriously... hydrate the entire week before the ride, and while riding, hydrate more. Thirsty or not, drink.

dehydration and cramps is not fun

• Like 1

The most serious problem that no one can avoid is the helmet. Your body gets hot, your blood gets hot, your blood goes to your brain and heats it up. Your helmet is nothing more than a styrofoam igloo chest keeping the head hot and cooking your brain. In the extreme you are gonna die just like several have riding enduros here in TX. Ain't worth it.

Edited by YHGEORGE

The biggest thing that people fail to acknowledge is diet. Most people I know tyat chronically deal with cramps no matter what magic powders they use or how much they pre-hydrate have a high daily salt intake. No matter how much hydrating you do, it's gonna be negated by that alone

The biggest thing that people fail to acknowledge is diet. Most people I know tyat chronically deal with cramps no matter what magic powders they use or how much they pre-hydrate have a high daily salt intake. No matter how much hydrating you do, it's gonna be negated by that alone

See, now that goes against everything I know about hydration. You want salt, no?

We would take salt tablets daily when I worked in Death Valley. Only way to retain water.

My wife put me on a no salt diet 3 years ago and that too put me in the hospital, after a week of working in extreme temps. Doc said drink alot of gatorade because it contains like 480 mg of sodium (which I was trying to stay away from, as per wifey), which you need.

Edited by BolinJrsPit Crew

I'm headed out right now, riding to helendale. I concentrate on the beer at the end of the ride

• Like 3