Sign in to follow this  

1995 cr250 boring questions

alright well my crank bearing went and it took the top end and the cylinder with it.. so i called a local machinist to quote a price for an over bore and he told me if its nikisil plated he can not do it. im at school all week and i wont be able to tell and i cant seem to find online what its made out of so do you guys know the best/cheapest way to get my cylinder in good shape again? sorry for no pictures and a lack of knoledge but i figured you guys would know.

alright well my crank bearing went and it took the top end and the cylinder with it.. so i called a local machinist to quote a price for an over bore and he told me if its nikisil plated he can not do it. im at school all week and i wont be able to tell and i cant seem to find online what its made out of so do you guys know the best/cheapest way to get my cylinder in good shape again? sorry for no pictures and a lack of knoledge but i figured you guys would know.

I think most would recommend either getting a new cylinder, or sending it to someone like Eric Gorr for an overbore. Assuming the cylinder is in good enough shape. As long as its not an older air cooled CR, it's a nikasil cylinder. Bike specs and pics would help.

Edit, just saw its a 95

Edited by JDubya381

the best way isn't the cheapest. cheapest is do nothing and throw a piston in it "craigslist top end" style. best is to have a cylinder company fix your cylinder. it's probably going to be more than a couple hundred bucks for the cylinder repair. get ready. I've used both of the outfits out of Wisconsin with good luck.

well i was told i could just bore it so the grooves go away which should cost about 90 bucks... just the plating is really my big deal. i know the cheapest isnt the best. but im looking for a happy medium because im pretty tight for money after spending it all on this bike that ive had for 3 months. I have seen some placed say they charge almost 300 for repair/plating and that just sounds absurd when a machine shop can bore it for 90... I live in mass and i really want to get this put back together as soon as possible so i dont leave it apart all summer while im on a ship. 

The cylinder is meant to be plated. If you want to be able to bore it out you will need a steel sleeve which to get it done right is not cheap either. Your best option is to replate to stock or find a good used cylinder that way you dont have to match your pv as well.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure they don't have a website. But that's "around" what you should pay to have it plated. IF and that's a big if, it can be re plated. Price may vary to some extent. Start calling around to your local machine shops and see who can handle it.

boring and re-plating is a waist of money in my opinion unless you are boring it for performance gains (at which point many other considerations need to come into play and more and more money). When you bore it you have to use larger more expensive pistons for top end refreshing and it makes owning the bike more expensive to own long term. If the damage is small enough that you could replate it back to stock that would be the best option. Either that or try to find a used one in good shape. Unfortunately it looks like the OEM part is no longer available. 

i have called a few people and emailed a few and they say because its nikasil they cant do it. so im thinking i have to sleeve it. any thoughts on sleeving the cylinder? i honestly dont want to bore it for performance... i cant handle it as it is. and if i bore it i know ill have more headaches down the road. the shop said they couldnt plate it for me so i was thinking they could bore it and insert the sleeve and hone it for me. i have looked around for new or used cylinders and it looks like they are really rare... the ones i did see needed the same work mine does and it even looks the same spot. so at this point im really planning to sleeve the cylinder. what kind of tips can you guys give for that? anything i need to be aware of? any particular company i should lean towards for the sleeve? i really appreciate the help guys. 

• Like 1

IMG_20140611_210921_591.jpg this is the score in the cylinder... there is another on the other side that is smaller but still pretty bad if you ask me... not 100% sure what exactly did the damage but im guessing it was something to do with the lower end bearing.. i hope these pictures help with any advice you guys could give.IMG_20140611_210946_435.jpg

i have called a few people and emailed a few and they say because its nikasil they cant do it. so im thinking i have to sleeve it. any thoughts on sleeving the cylinder? i honestly dont want to bore it for performance... i cant handle it as it is. and if i bore it i know ill have more headaches down the road. the shop said they couldnt plate it for me so i was thinking they could bore it and insert the sleeve and hone it for me. i have looked around for new or used cylinders and it looks like they are really rare... the ones i did see needed the same work mine does and it even looks the same spot. so at this point im really planning to sleeve the cylinder. what kind of tips can you guys give for that? anything i need to be aware of? any particular company i should lean towards for the sleeve? i really appreciate the help guys. 

http://www.kenoconnorracing.com/  Best in the business IMO  :thumbsup:   

Edited by Beau 88

Just throwing my opinion in, but get a new jug. You can get the money on eBay for an okay price, use eBay credit if needed, but that's gonna be your best bet. I had to forget same last winter and it sucks, but that's dirtbikes.

don't sleeve it. sleeves are for stuff that came that way. cr500, yz490, stuff from the eighties etc. plating is better. and I've used several cylinder companies over the past 15 years and they're not all good. I haven't had the 2 out of Wisconsin give me a crap plating job yet (so far). there was an outfit in Alabama that did a cylinder for me that didn't look so great. local shops don't do that the plating process and equipment is specialized and extensive. and a hundred bucks sounds super cheap like too good to be true cheap. as a shop the lowest price I can get a cylinder plated at a jobber price is about 200 ish but that's because every cylinder I've ever sent out had at least one gouge in it and needed that repaired by the cylinder company first before being plated. I forget what the retail rate is.