Tmx jetting 2004

I have been reading up on this, according to what I have found the 2004 is the first year of the short body TMX, what I cannot find is the correct answer regarding the nozzle that comes in the carb. I read some accounts that the nozzle is leaner than the previous years and that makes the jetting easier? I know I am pretty close with my jetting but I want to make sure I have my bases covered. If I need a nozzle the only place that I can find that has them is ebay?? I tried chapparal and they dont have any.. even tried yamaha part numbers from s4-s8 they all have to come directly from japan! 

Any tips? JD jetting? is it worth it??  I already know about the PWK and maybee I will go that route one day but for now it is not in the funds. Swapping brass is easy and if I can get it close I will be happy.

I have been reading up on this, according to what I have found the 2004 is the first year of the short body TMX, what I cannot find is the correct answer regarding the nozzle that comes in the carb. I read some accounts that the nozzle is leaner than the previous years and that makes the jetting easier? I know I am pretty close with my jetting but I want to make sure I have my bases covered. If I need a nozzle the only place that I can find that has them is ebay?? I tried chapparal and they dont have any.. even tried yamaha part numbers from s4-s8 they all have to come directly from japan! 

Any tips? JD jetting? is it worth it??  I already know about the PWK and maybee I will go that route one day but for now it is not in the funds. Swapping brass is easy and if I can get it close I will be happy.

Its very possible that the nozzle changed in 04. Pro-Circuit doesn't indicate a nozzle change in there jetting specs for 04 the way they do for 03. Maybe someone who know for sure will chime in.

I have an '04, there are not different nozzles for that particular TMX. I think only the '02-'03 TMX had the different nozzles.

I recently read that the '04 TMX is basically a PWK copy, and that since it's the right size and has the TPS, it's really a good fit for the '04 model compared to a PWK swap. I'm thinking about throwing mine back on this summer to give it a try. 

I have an '04, there are not different nozzles for that particular TMX. I think only the '02-'03 TMX had the different nozzles.

I recently read that the '04 TMX is basically a PWK copy, and that since it's the right size and has the TPS, it's really a good fit for the '04 model compared to a PWK swap. I'm thinking about throwing mine back on this summer to give it a try.

The carbs look the exact same except for the top of the slide where it accommodates the TPS. Same carb with a sensor. Not that you cant get the carb to work good but it is a stretch to call it a pwk copy because if it is it fails pretty bad. I know that every bike that I have ridden that has had a mikuni has worked well and I never had a chance to try my cr with a fresh rebuild but none of the other bikes or quads I have had had as broad of a power curve that the keihins do weather it be pwk or pj. Just my $.02

Edited by 223hpyhooker

It's a copy only in the sense that the air slide is now kidney shaped just like the PWK.

Before that, the TMX used a flat face, matchbox shaped air slide.

The late series TMX is more of an upper and overrev type of carb, and it will / should produce more high rpm pulling power than the PWK. IT does not like to be throttled in the low to mid rpm, whereas the PWK is ideally suited for that. The PWK's claim to fame is that it has those two air striker air foils that directs more air over the nozzle of the needle's venturi, so there's more velocity flowing through the PWK than the TMX. However, at 5/8 to full throttle, where the needle portion is no longer online, the air striker vanes don't do/contribute much anymore, or they restrict the air flow, but the TMX has more air flow at higher throttle opening. Imo, each has its own advantages. You just need to pick one  that suits your style of riding.

Edited by jeddclampette
  • Like 1

It's a copy only in the sense that the air slide is now kidney shaped just like the PWK.

Before that, the TMX used a flat face, matchbox shaped air slide.

The late series TMX is more of an upper and overrev type of carb, and it will / should produce more high rpm pulling power than the PWK. IT does not like to be throttled in the low to mid rpm, whereas the PWK is ideally suited for that. The PWK's claim to fame is that it has those two air striker air foils that directs more air over the nozzle of the needle's venturi, so there's more velocity flowing through the PWK than the TMX. However, at 5/8 to full throttle, where the needle portion is no longer online, the air striker vanes don't do/contribute much anymore, or they restrict the air flow, but the TMX has more air flow at higher throttle opening. Imo, each has its own advantages. You just need to pick one that suits your style of riding.

Thanks for providing a much more informed post. I am gonna test mine out again this summer.

Call jd and ask him if the nozzle is tunable. I have a tmx on my husky with kidney shaped slide. Jd found a unknown nozzle for it and included it in a kit along with instructions on how to change it (not intuitive). Runs great!

01 to 03 tmx had a flat slide btw.

Just so everyone knows you have to tap the nozzle out because it's two pieces stock, the main jet holder is not the nozzle it is up inside the carb just use a small punch and tap it out the. You will see the s7 marked on the side. I was already running 410 main and a 30 slow jet so no wonder it ran fine I was running the typical good jetting already.. Time to lean it out a tad because of hoott temps here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I got a spare, TMX from a 2003 and its a completely different carb, the slide is shaped different etc, A few observations, it has the removable nozzle which is basically the same as the 2004 but one piece where the 2004 is two, it has a much much leaner straight taper needle, both have a 4.0 slide.. and a s8 nozzle.

So the 04 has the s7 nozzle and the three taper needle(I don't have the numbers in front of me)  I might try the 03 needle in the 04 carb before I switch to the s4 nozzle.  I was very surprised to find these major differences for an almost Identical motor.