2013 Engine knock after 12 hours

So here is the deal

Bought a brand new left over 13

Only thing done to it is a rekluse core exp 3.0 with rekluse basket

Other then that its bone stock. Even has the stock pipe on it

Took it out the other day and it seems to have a slight engine knock

Immediately pulled the oil which looked crystal clear. not a spec of anything in it

It could have some potentially crappy gas in it but its unlikely. 

Bike has had an oil change every 3 hours

so now what? I just sold my 09 to buy a more "reliable" bike and now I'm starring done the barrel of $2k for an engine. 

Called my dealer to ask them what to do and got told to drop it off where honda may or may not help and i may or may not get stuck with a $500 repair bill just for looking at it

What should i be doing now other then being pissed off? Anyone have any recommendations? 

Im running the honda 10-40 regular oil in the bike. Air filter was replaced at like 5 hours with a twin air. nothing visible in the air box or throttle body

Also just a side note

When i put the rekluse basket in you have to take off the right case half

My worst fear initially was that when i put the case half back on i did not properly engage the water pump spline back and it may have over heated causing damage.

I then immediately checked the coolant which was nice and full with brand new honda coolant, second, i pulled the water pump cover over and moved the kick starter to make sure it was properly engaged and spinng when i pushed on the kickstarted which it was.

So everything seems fine there

yes you can. it will run richer (lack of 10% ethanol) but not by an amount that will matter for what your testing.

gotta love them 4 strokes when your looking at when it's time to go into the engine. yay for the economic stimulus!

Edited by MrMotorhed

yes you can. it will run richer (lack of 10% ethanol) but not by an amount that will matter for what your testing.

gotta love them 4 strokes when your looking at when it's time to go into the engine. yay for the economic stimulus!

All the vp stuff i have seen says its leaded

There were some other people in a different thread making a big deal over the fact that its leaded and saying that will cause harm to your engine??? 

thoughts?

All the vp stuff i have seen says its leaded

There were some other people in a different thread making a big deal over the fact that its leaded and saying that will cause harm to your engine??? 

thoughts?

2013 crf450r. I was assuming this is your bike. if it is not please clarify. tetraethyl lead degrades a couple of things on modern automobiles. these are, in order of serverity, catalytic converters and oxygen sensors. vehicles with a cat that are run with leaded gas tent to melt the converter shut in quick order. fortunately your crf has no catalytic converter. the oxygen sensors tend to degrade much more slowly in the presence of leaded gas. slow enough that they still have value as a sensor over the course of several tuning sessions. leaded degradation typically does not apply to modern wide band 5 volt sensors. your crf doesn't have an oxygen sensor either so good news for you there.

what else were they saying in this other thread that leaded gas screws up? i'm always amused by the prolific propagation of misinformation. bs can tend to be rampant.

Ok just got back in

Im religious about my oil. 

Here is what i just did in the last hour

Drained all the fuel out. 

Refilled with Shell Vpower which is what i normally run with no issue at all

Dropped the oil yet again. Crystal clear not a spec in the Coffee Filter

Droped the oil filter out and cut open. No a single spec in it. Perfect flawless, just like i would accept a new motor to be

Checked the colony just for kicks

Refilled everything

started her up and same crap. 

Also, new predicament i noticed. Bike is extremely hard to get into neutral. That might be a rekluse adjustment but just thought i would add that in. 

Just incase anyone is wondering, no i did not hammer the center hub not on with an air gun. It was torqued precisely to rekluse specs at 50 ftlbs

just a side note

I grabbed my iPhone and shot a little video of it.

Im going to get it posted in 5 min. Stand by

Thanks in advance for the help

I agree eddie, the first thing i suspected was the clutch. I have had that clutch apart countless times and pretty good and putting it back together. The clutch behaves perfectly 

The video around 12 seconds if you listen real close you can hear it knocking. The iPhone unfortunately does not do very well with this. The video sounds pretty good to me also, but sadly in real life it sounds pretty terrible. I might try again with my go pro

More like the cushions between the clutch basket and the gear attatched to the back of the clutch basket. When those get worn out one of the tell tale signs is knocking

Edited by mrmoto35

More like the cushions between the clutch basket and the gear attatched to the back of the clutch basket. When those get worn out one of the tell tale signs is knocking

unfortunatley i wish it were that simple

You must be thinking about the core 2.0 

The 3.0 does not use the cushions anymore they have done away with it.

This is coming from the top of the motor it seems its not from the left case

Also, one more note to add, 12 hours and the valves have not been checked yet. Any chance valves out of waco could cause this?

I was just about to send it to my guy for a valve check and then this started.