Sign in to follow this  

mix stainless steel valves with titanium

can yo put 2 titanium ext valves icrf250 and 2 stainless valves in same head

put down the wrench and step away from the vehicle! no of course you can but the fact that you asked might imply that you need more skills and knowledge to fart around with a crf250 top end. everyone else seems to patch it together and sell it on craigslist and claim it's got a new top end. you could even say it's a "310 big bore full race time bomb motor!!!" that seems to be popular with the kiddies nowadays.

• Like 3

U can do anything u want. But titanium valves use different seats. So if it's set up for stainless it's not going to last long

OK im not sure where you are getting titanium exhaust valves from but I think you are buying snake oil. Usually, and I mean usually most dirt bike heads run a steel exhaust valve do to the heat and the small valve stem. So the seat on the exhaust side is a bit hard and will ware out a titanium valve. You can run what ever valves you want on the seat, just doesn't mean they will last any length of time. Also make sure to have the valve seats refaced to insure that you have a good flat 45 for the titanium valve to seal on or it will beat itself up very very fast. 

OK im not sure where you are getting titanium exhaust valves from but I think you are buying snake oil. Usually, and I mean usually most dirt bike heads run a steel exhaust valve do to the heat and the small valve stem. So the seat on the exhaust side is a bit hard and will ware out a titanium valve. You can run what ever valves you want on the seat, just doesn't mean they will last any length of time. Also make sure to have the valve seats refaced to insure that you have a good flat 45 for the titanium valve to seal on or it will beat itself up very very fast. 

really witch models were those? I understood most motocross models use titanium on both.

All sock intakes on the CRF 450 and 250 are steel believe. Though I know some of the yamaha's use titanium exhaust valves. And looks like some of the Kawasaki's do as well. Not the best for the job. Heat causes the stems to move causing the head of the valve to not contact the seat properly. Works on the intake side because it has fuel running over it to cool it down. 

All sock intakes on the CRF 450 and 250 are steel believe. Though I know some of the yamaha's use titanium exhaust valves. And looks like some of the Kawasaki's do as well. Not the best for the job. Heat causes the stems to move causing the head of the valve to not contact the seat properly. Works on the intake side because it has fuel running over it to cool it down. 

no naturally i'm a dick i'm just trying not to be one here as I disagree. what's a sportsmanlike way to say this? i'd be willing to bet a small amount of money against you if we were in person. and I've lost bets like that before but without checking myself I have an "official" hunch otherwise.

Titanium valves seats where out faster cause there softer. So you will be adjusting more. Stick with stainless steel. Unless your racing super cross and an ounce makes a big difference. And u have a personal mechanic who does all the work for u

no naturally i'm a dick i'm just trying not to be one here as I disagree. what's a sportsmanlike way to say this? i'd be willing to bet a small amount of money against you if we were in person. and I've lost bets like that before but without checking myself I have an "official" hunch otherwise.

What do you disagree about? Maybe I can give you a little clarification. And I don't take offense to a challenge of my word. I too have been wrong in the past. But I do do this for a living. And I love to learn if I have been taught wrong in the past. Or learned something wrong in the past. We are all human. But working with honda, that is what I've seen.

What do you disagree about? Maybe I can give you a little clarification. And I don't take offense to a challenge of my word. I too have been wrong in the past. But I do do this for a living. And I love to learn if I have been taught wrong in the past. Or learned something wrong in the past. We are all human. But working with honda, that is what I've seen.

no I just checked a 2002  Honda parts fiche and the msrp of stock valves was  less than what I remember most oems getting for titanium valves but about twice as much as what I remember steel valves costing. I still stand by my belief of the oems not mixing valve materials between intake and exhaust. to support my point further, in the aftermarket, the steel conversion valves are sold with springs stiff enough to prevent float. no i'm just saying I think this and I may be wrong and that's fine. some folks like all their stories to make themselves look like a rock star and I don't have that need. I can share a story with someone where I was wrong or lost badly or screwed up and to me it has almost as much social value. the msrp of the parts is definitely not concrete, just suggestive, as to what valve material originals were made of. the magnet check may have less effectiveness also because many stainless alloys aren't very magnetic. the most obvious way for me to tell is simply pick them up after removing them from the head. steel valves feel like a valve, and by comparison a titanium valve feels like it's almost made out of aluminum. pretty obvious.

and to the original poster, what is the motivation for playing musical valves? how were you hoping it would benefit you?

I have a 03 crf 450. Same as 02. I bent the stock valves twice. I put kibby white stainless valves in there in 06. I don't ride it much cause I have a 12 yz450. But when ever I want to ride it. It starts right up. Best move I ever made. I also went to pro x trimming chain. Cause I went through 2 stock chains. My tires outlasted the timing chain

pro x parts have been known to be reboxed stock stuff for the most part wich is nice usually. is this known to be different now?