Sign in to follow this  

Clunk and Gurgle

I just did a valve clearance job on my '05. Everything went fine until I tried to start it up. It starts a bit harder that before and I hear a lot of clunking from the cylinder area until it gets running.

I took everything apart again. I'm waiting to let it cool down to recheck the clearances. However, when turning the crank over to set the proper position, at certain points in the rotation I hear a lot if gurgling -again from the cylinder.

I didn't have the clunking prior to his and didn't notice the gurgling. Anything to be concerned about?

Ok. So now I need to look. I just bought the bike so I'm doing all the initial stuff.

I'm going to double check the valve clearance but I put a larger shim on both intake valves. 1.60 --> 1.65. Exhaust was good.

The oil level may be a bit high. Gurgle? Planning on changing it tonight.

What else should I look for? I'm an old XR guy so there's a lot of newfangled stuff on this bike I just dont understand - yet.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm going to double check the valve clearance but I put a larger shim on both intake valves. 1.60 --> 1.65. Exhaust was good.

Very rarely do intake clearances increase...are you sure you did the math correctly? Usually gaps close up and require smaller shims to re-establish proper clearances.

• Like 1

Good point. Maybe I have a heavy hand compared to the last guy. Maybe I'll go back to what was in there and see.

I just rechecked everything. Timing marks are lined up.

Getting to know my bike faster than expected .......

Thanks for the feedback.

Check all the fluid levels carefully, you already said the engine side was high and that's probably where the gurgle is coming from, but check the coolant level and tranny side as well.

Jim.

I would think it's unusual for a larger shim to be needed. The valve gap usually shrinks as the valve seats further into head. May want to check clearance again. Good luck!