Sign in to follow this  

What costs are associated with buying a new bike through Cycle Trader?

I'm in the market for a new bike and I obviously want to get the best deal possible, but I really believe in keeping business local to help out the local motor sports stores.  If I can get my local store to be competitive with prices I can get on Cycle Trader I will give them my business.  However I need to have my facts straight about buying bikes online in order to be fair.  So my main question is besides the price of the bike, tax and shipping are there any other associated costs with buying a bike online??  I've heard about assembly fees, but I'm not sure.  Do dealers ship bikes disassembled and then assemble upon delivery or do they pre-assemble and then ship them?  Or do you have to assemble yourself?  Any information that can help me estimate the total cost would be very helpful.  Thanks guys.

I've bought all my bikes online never paid taxes on any of them and have one guy do my shipping for me cheap . I don't see why anyone would disassemble a bike to ship it unless it's leaving the country. 

I'm in the market for a new bike and I obviously want to get the best deal possible, but I really believe in keeping business local to help out the local motor sports stores.  If I can get my local store to be competitive with prices I can get on Cycle Trader I will give them my business.  However I need to have my facts straight about buying bikes online in order to be fair.  So my main question is besides the price of the bike, tax and shipping are there any other associated costs with buying a bike online??  I've heard about assembly fees, but I'm not sure.  Do dealers ship bikes disassembled and then assemble upon delivery or do they pre-assemble and then ship them?  Or do you have to assemble yourself?  Any information that can help me estimate the total cost would be very helpful.  Thanks guys.

What Mike in OK said is the truth. They will try to add on some different fees depending on the dealer and some of them can be legitimate. The dealers get the bikes in a crate so they have to assemble them. I bought a new bike recently from a local dealer and here are the additional costs other than taxes that I got charged for...

-Freight fee $395

-Dealer Prep & Assembly $180

-MVIT $13.56

The freight fee is probably negotiable but they gave me the bike at a great price so I was fine with paying the freight fee. The prep and assembly fee is fine in my book too because they are putting the bike together out of the crate. However, I have bought new bikes in the past where I told them I wanted to put the bike together out of the crate myself and just took the bike home still in the crate so I didn't pay the fee. Some shops are okay with that and some aren't. Local motorcycle shops aren't doing so great these days so I'd encourage you to keep the transaction local if you can.

Thanks for the input guys! I just bought my bike (2014 KX250F) earlier this week from a local dealer and got it out the door for $6,345 and %20 off of anything else including special order items for 1 year. So basically all my gear and essentials. How did I do?

That's the exact bike I bought a few weeks ago and I was out the door with tax, title, everything for 6,700 out the door so it sounds like you got a good deal to me.