Sign in to follow this  

Tyre pressure.

Hi all novice question but what PSI do you recommend for very powdery trails? I was out on the weekend and the track was about a foot deep with very fine dust (we call it bull dust) which hides a lot of rock and all sorts of surprises. At times it was like riding a greased pig and I suspect a lot of my trouble was to much pressure (after thought).

I run 11.5-12.5 in the rear, 12.5-13.5 in the front for MX, anything softer will roll the tire over the rim on the turns. You need to see 1/16"-1/8" of "rim clean" on the sides of the rim, no more. But you have to see some. If none = tire pressure too high. If more than 1/8" tire pressure too low. Slower guys that don't lean over a lot while using the power on the track can get away with much lower tire pressure than faster guys, as an example, so you'll have to play with tire pressures until you get them into the sweet spot for you at that particular track.

Edited by Eddie8v
  • Like 1

Are you running the right tire for the dirt your riding in ? If you in soft dust  or sandy dirt , you will need a tire that's made for that. What tires are on your bike ? I ride a lot of sand , roots , and use 11 , to 11 1/2 front ,and 10 to 10 1/2 in back.

I have a "general" tyre as I ride all sorts of terrain, depends on which direction I go. Have been loving the loose rock hills as it is really improving my riding and fitness. Tyre pressure seems to be the easiest fix.

The issue with tire pressure regarding your question is; the loose stuff wants less pressure, but the rocks hidden in the powder will pinch flat you in a heart beat with low pressure. Youre damned if you do, and damned if you dont. to avoid flats...Id go with the pressure a little higher and deal with the tire spin.

• Like 1