Sign in to follow this  

DRZ-400S keeps dying on me!

Alright guys, my google-fu hasn't found me any immediate solutions to my problems, so I was hoping you ladies and gentlemen could help me out!

My bike has been dying when I have been cruising down the road at a relatively constant speed. I can't remember it dying when I am trail riding or any other time when I am constantly stopping and going. And when I say dying I mean the engine cuts off and coasts dead to a stop. It doesn't seem to be running hot according to the Trail Tech Vapor or the dummy light. The vapor also shows the RPM completely dropping out on the tach. Some times the bike doesn't stop running all together, just dies for a second then picks right back up, but probably 8 out of 10 times the motor stops running completely. The bike never hesitates to start back, always starting on the first bump of the starter after I pull over. Sometimes when I start the bike back up I get a relatively loud "pop" from the exhaust, like a backfire I guess.

Also the problem seems to have gotten worse, as it used to only happen maybe once in an hour of riding, or not at all, but this weekend it died 3 times in the span of about 10 miles. I don't even know if it is electrical or fuel related so I have decided not to ride anywhere until I get everything sorted out, and because of work that might not be until this weekend... :thumbsdn:

I forgot to mention I just changed the oil less than 250 miles ago and the oil still looks fine to me and so does the air filter, so as far as I can tell all the obvious things are in check, always plenty of gas, oil, antifreeze, and everything is lubed and tightened to spec. In spite of all of this from what I have read and been told on this site, I may be running a tad lean so I plan to clean and rejet the carb this weekend. (JD kit maybe??)

I'm sorry if I am rambling and overlooking things, this is my first bike and I am stumped!! :bonk:  

Thanks for all the help in advance fellas!!

Mine.did the same thing and it turned out to be the stator

Would that have some effect on the battery and the lights? The battery is being charged and the headlights shine bright all the time as far as I can tell...

I don't know if its like the alternator on my truck, but when it started to go the lights would dim and it wouldn't charge the battery like it was supposed to. Is there some way to test it?

• Like 1

Definitely sounds electrical, I would start here http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/541623-charging-system-diagnoses-plus-the-free-power-mod/ and see what the results are.

Thanks for the link man! I will have to print that out and break out the multimeter saturday. Any other common electrical problems or things to look for in general? I'm always open to suggestions!

Thanks for the link man! I will have to print that out and break out the multimeter saturday. Any other common electrical problems or things to look for in general? I'm always open to suggestions!

Its a very common problem for the DRZ's stator bolts to back out and ruin everything in there,  that is why the loctite fixes are recommended for errone to do,  i am hoping that did not happen to your bike,   but if it did,  not that bad,  you will just need a new stator. 

• Like 3

How many miles on the motor ?

So in your case it was one of the 3 stator bolts that backed out and not the flywheel ones right? was a new stator all you needed?

Yep, stator bolts backed out and ate the flywheel. New stator and a new flywheel. Almost didn't get the old flywheel off either.

• Like 1

Its a very common problem for the DRZ's stator bolts to back out and ruin everything in there,  that is why the loctite fixes are recommended for errone to do,  i am hoping that did not happen to your bike,   but if it did,  not that bad,  you will just need a new stator. 

How many miles on the motor ?

Thanks 150ron, looks like I will be picking up some loctite too!

And to Chooken, the whole factory speedo was dead when I got the bike, but the previous owner said right about 3000 miles or so when I picked it up.

• Like 1

How was your bike acting when all that stuff happened? Similar issues?

Was running fine and just shut down out of nowhere. Wouldn't start back up, just a big backfire every now and again. Stator cover is easy enough to pull off, I would check it to be safe

• Like 1

Was running fine and just shut down out of nowhere. Wouldn't start back up, just a big backfire every now and again. Stator cover is easy enough to pull off, I would check it to be safe

10-4 man, I will definitely add it to the list!

Off topic but are you from the 843 sc? And nice bert avi das it mane

• Like 1

Off topic but are you from the 843 sc? And nice bert avi das it mane

Yup! North east SC, right on the NC line, little area called Green Sea

Yup! North east SC, right on the NC line, little area called Green Sea

i live right on the nc line too up by Cheraw. You live below lumberton right ?

Ok guys and girls, sorry to take so long with this, little update for ya...finally got the chance to tear into the bike today and here's what I found. The alternator voltage was a little low at idle and high idle according to the link above. I took the stator cover off to check it out, the bolts were all tight and the magnets didn't appear damaged, but the stator winding appeared to have a burnt spot on it, (with the electric motors I deal with this is usually bad news). The phases still had continuity between them and the phases didn't seem to have continuity to the ground spot on the plug, but they did read continuity from to several spots on the alternator cover. I don't really know if that has any effect on anything...thinking I may need a new stator, but here are a few pictures of everything. Thanks for all the help guys, and sorry to keep buggin ya!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by SwampMan843