Sign in to follow this  

05 kx250f won't kick start

I just had the valves adjusted carb cleaned etc. but if i try to kick the bike over when its cold it wont start no matter what, it starts fine with a bump start and once it's going it runs really strong and if i kick the bike over when its warm it starts first kick even without the hotstart, any ideas? 

I just had the valves adjusted carb cleaned etc. but if i try to kick the bike over when its cold it wont start no matter what, it starts fine with a bump start and once it's going it runs really strong and if i kick the bike over when its warm it starts first kick even without the hotstart, any ideas? 

Buy a remote fuel screw and search "fuel screw" on this topic.  Even if that is not the problem, it is not a waste of money.  The choke should be required to start cold, and the hot start should be required to start hot.  If you can start hot without the hot start, you are lean.  Others will follow with more sage advice, most likely all very good, and this situation is not new to TT, so search.  Are you using the choke to start?  Does the motor respond at all when you pull the hot start while it is running?  Is the boot from carb to head sealed?  Just ideas I would have in your situation.  Compression check would be on the list, too, but I think it's a lean condition at start up.  A cold motor needs more gasoline to air for fuel and a hot one needs less gasoline to air for fuel.  I think your air/gas ratio is not right, especially since hot starting is so easy.

Buy a remote fuel screw and search "fuel screw" on this topic.  Even if that is not the problem, it is not a waste of money.  The choke should be required to start cold, and the hot start should be required to start hot.  If you can start hot without the hot start, you are lean.  Others will follow with more sage advice, most likely all very good, and this situation is not new to TT, so search.  Are you using the choke to start?  Does the motor respond at all when you pull the hot start while it is running?  Is the boot from carb to head sealed?  Just ideas I would have in your situation.  Compression check would be on the list, too, but I think it's a lean condition at start up.  A cold motor needs more gasoline to air for fuel and a hot one needs less gasoline to air for fuel.  I think your air/gas ratio is not right, especially since hot starting is so easy.

I went out the other day gave it a little gas found TDC, started fist kick no choke. I have no idea why it wouldn't start but it's fine now.