Sign in to follow this  

Bike won't start, was running well recently

2002 Yamaha TTR 125. Bike was running great for the past year, but started acting up and stalled out. I changed the oil, new spark plug, cleaned the carb, and put it back together. At first it wasn't starting at all and I found out the float needle was stuck, fixed that and the fuel is now flowing as it should. Now the bike will start with the choke on, run for about 20 seconds maybe, and then die. After it dies, I can't get it restarted again. I don't think the float is still stuck because I took the bowl off and gas poured out and it seemed move freely. I already checked spark and compression, both are good. Also, I think I might have adjusted the idle screw while cleaning it. Tried it at 3 turns, no go. Tried it at 2 turns, started but then died again. Not sure what the factory setting is. Any help would be awesome!!! Thanks.

Replace the pilot jet with a new one

Clear the passage above he pilot with brake spray cleaner, compressed air, and stiff fishing line

Put your fuel screw at 1.5-2 turns

Does the spark plug look wet after running it? My kx125 is doing the same thing right now. I have a new CDI box and ignition coil on the way from ebay. When I pull my spark plug and test it immediately after it runs for about 30 secs. it looks wet fouled and it takes about 4-5 good cranks to get it sparking again, then it has a weak spark. I've replaced the spark plug and it didn't help. Try getting a new CDI and/or and ignition coil if what KoolAid said doesn't work.