Sign in to follow this  

Oil cleaner case thread striped

I was having a little oil leak on top of the oil filter where the oil runs through the line to it called a oil cleaner on the schematics. But when I took the bolt off the threads from the case came out too and now I'm clueless of how to fix it.

1402362599842.jpg

1402362611016.jpg

This one is tricky. I would helicoil or timesert it, drain fluids and replace, just to make sure no shavings go through your engine. Gotta love aluminum.

if that  is the only part of the thread that is on the bolt the  came out, there still may be enough threads to retain the bolt

check in the hole how much threads are left

if I see it right on my bike that hole looks like it goes directly in to the oil filter chamber, remove the oil filter and check

if it does chips of metal will be easier to remove

if you have enough threads left I would chase them with a new tap (carefully)

if you chase the threads or have to open it up for a helicoil pack the tap with grease the grease will hold on to the

metal shavings, go a little way into the hole with the tap, remove the tap clean the grease off, repack new grease go a little deeper

the grease can only hold on to so much metal, if you go to deep at one time it may leave metal behind

when you do reinstall the bolt use anti-seize

Edited by firstnewbike

Yeah when I took the bolt out I put a magnet in there and tried to fish them all out. Now to tap a new thread do I need a certain size heli coil? I've never done it before

i guess you do not realize that a magnet will NOT pick up aluminum.

so its of no help.

i would use a timesert in this situation not a helicoil.

i would HIGHLY recommend you remove as much of the right side as you can (or willing to do) before you attempt this.

maybe call around a few shops (not bike) on how much for them to do it for you.

• Like 1

That is the banjo bolt they are hollow and will twist off when over talked. Usually the top bolt breaks not the bottom one. You should be able to tell if the rest of the bolt is in the hole. as was sugested remove the side cover then usea appropriate size easy out. More than likely the threads are fine. If you feel you do not have the skill to do the repair take the cover to a machine shop, at least for a opinion.