Sign in to follow this  

New wheels: Used stock or new Warp 9

Alright so im suppose to be selling my truck tm or the next day and ill have extra money to throw at a new WHEEL. Just one because im on a budget and want to be able to run a commuting setup and a dirt setup! i currently have 14/44 gearing and want to go to 14/47 with a t63 for offroad and run 14/38 for a street commute setup since my weekly commute is min of 200 miles for school! so i was wondering if anyone has ran this wheel setup because it is only 30 bucks more than what they are wanting for used ones on ebay! I couldnt find any info on their dirt wheels. Also i was wondering if anyones runs a 21/17 combo for commuting since Warp9 has sumo rims for 60 bucks more than a dirt rim. i would eventually grab a front 17 also but cant wait on the money to buy both at the same time! IF anyone knows of any other good new 18" rims from another company that is in the same ballpark for pricing let me know of them!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/25307/i/warp-9-complete-rear-wheel

Stay away from the cheap Chinese wheels , the price is attractive . They look good too , they just lack durability .IMO

Ya I'm thinking of just running SHINKO 244 front and back on stock rims then just slap a new chain and 38t on it for commuting next fall since there are some iffy reviews on what little I can find about their dirt wheels! Then just save up the money for a excel setup! I would probably be money ahead in the long run! You think I could run 14/38 or 14/39 on a stock chain or would I need a 110? Also Im pretty sure E gearing is 14/47 so I should be good to slap a 47t on with the 112 link stock chain!

Excel hoops laced to stock hubs :)

Aside from that option if you want 17's the warp9's are actually pretty good. The front rotor is iffy for racing but will be fine for street duty.

Supermotojunkie will have hoards of used 17" wheels for you.

Edited by D4N63R

I LIKE OEM the best, JMO tho, are you looking for a 17'' set up?

Ya eventually, I would like the 17s to go with a dirt set! But honestly it isn't in the budget too get both at this time so I think I'll just wait till I got the cash for both! Life of a college kid I tell it's rough!!!
  • Like 1

Ya I'm thinking of just running SHINKO 244 front and back on stock rims then just slap a new chain and 38t on it for commuting next fall since there are some iffy reviews on what little I can find about their dirt wheels! Then just save up the money for a excel setup! I would probably be money ahead in the long run! You think I could run 14/38 or 14/39 on a stock chain or would I need a 110? Also Im pretty sure E gearing is 14/47 so I should be good to slap a 47t on with the 112 link stock chain!

14/39 is going to eat your swingarm slider (and then the swingarm) alive. 15/41 or 15/44 will be much easier on it. 

since you're mentioning 'budget' and commuting, have you thought about the hooligan mod ? it's cheap and opens of the world of cheap/good 17" tires to you. 

• Like 1

I've had my warp 9 SM wheels for about 4000 miles now.  I did a good spoke tightening and truing of them prior to install, dished the rear away form the chain some.  They haven't budged since, lots of curb and loading dock jumping, jeep trails, and general commuting abuse.  I haven't broke a spoke yet but I think that is the biggest problem people have had with them I think.  I like that they are stainless spokes.  I have a second set of OEM SM wheels I just put Kenda knobbies on and I really hate the galvanized steel spokes on them, they look like crap.  Someday I'll respoke them or put some colored spoke covers on them.

I've had good luck with warp 9's so far.

• Like 2

I heard the OEM SM wheels, the Excels are not "true" Excels wheelsets though?

The hoops are generic excels. Not a60's or anything fancy like that. The hubs and spokes are standard suzuki stuff.