Is it difficult to replace crank seal?

I have been noticing that my ktm 200 is starting to smoke excessively and spooge. I have tried messin with the carb with different jets tryin to lean it out also adjusted needle to the lowest possition possible (highest clip possition) and it helped a little but still smokes a little. I have come to think now that it is the crank seal on the clutch side that is letting oil into my cylinder. do I have to take engine out of bike to do this? I would assume I could just pop clutch cover off, take basket off, then split the right side case, and then I'm able to see the crank. Is this correct? If so I hope this is an easy enough job any advice or pointers?

I have been noticing that my ktm 200 is starting to smoke excessively and spooge. I have tried messin with the carb with different jets tryin to lean it out also adjusted needle to the lowest possition possible (highest clip possition) and it helped a little but still smokes a little. I have come to think now that it is the crank seal on the clutch side that is letting oil into my cylinder. do I have to take engine out of bike to do this? I would assume I could just pop clutch cover off, take basket off, then split the right side case, and then I'm able to see the crank. Is this correct? If so I hope this is an easy enough job any advice or pointers?

You don't need to pull the clutch basket. Nor do you need to take the outer clutch cover off. Remove the appropriate bolts and the out and inner clutch cover come off together. When you say right side case I assume it is the inner clutch cover to which you are referring... You have to remove the right side PV cover and detach the linkage arm. The inner and outer clutch covers come off as an assembly. On some models you may have to remove the WP impeller. Kickstarter too of course, and usually removing the rear brake pedal makes it easier to remove the covers....

Once you have the covers off just remove the primary gear to access the seal. Drill a small pilot hole in the seal. Run a screw into the seal. Use the screw as a means of extracting the seal with pliers, claw hammer etc....

This, along with many other procedures should be illustrated in great detail in your KTM model specific service manual ;)

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 2

You don't need to pull the clutch basket. Nor do you need to take the outer clutch cover off. Remove the appropriate bolts and the out and inner clutch cover come off together. When you say ride side case I assume it is the inner clutch cover to which you are referring... You have to remove the right side PV cover and detach the linkage arm. The inner and outer clutch covers come off as an assembly. On some models you may have to remove the WP impeller.

Once you have the covers off just remove the primary gear to access the seal. Drill a small pilot hole in the seal. Run a screw into the seal. Use the screw as a means of extracting the seal with pliers, claw hammer etc....

Wow thanks for all the help, I will go outside and take some pics right now so you can see the case that I'm talking about splitting. They will be posted in 2 minutes

It's a very simple job if done right. All you have to do is remove the large right side clutch cover. Remove the clutch assembly noting how everything goes back together. Remove primary drive gear. CAREFULLY drill a small hole in the old seal and screw a wood screw into the hole. Pull the seal out with pliers. If the collar that sits inside the seal has a groove worn in it, replace that too or it will render your new seal useless in no time. Put the new seal in to the proper depth. If you don't have a clutch holder tool, you can use a penny meshed between the teeth on the drive gear and clutch to loosen the nut on the clutch basket. The copper is softer than the steel gears and won't damage them. Reassemble with a new gasket and proper torque specs and you're good to go.

Edited by Firebird 400
  • Like 1

Wow thanks for all the help, I will go outside and take some pics right now so you can see the case that I'm talking about splitting. They will be posted in 2 minutes

Ok...

It's a very simple job if done right. All you have to do is remove the large right side clutch cover. Remove the clutch assembly noting how everything goes back together. Remove primary drive gear. CAREFULLY drill a small hole in the old seal and screw a wood screw into the hole. Pull the seal out with pliers. If the collar that sits inside the seal has a groove worn in it, replace that too or it will render your new seal useless in no time. Put the new seal in to the proper depth. If you don't have a clutch holder tool, you can use a penny meshed between the teeth on the drive gear and clutch to loosen the nut on the clutch basket. The copper is softer than the steel gears and won't damage them. Reassemble with a new gasket and proper torque specs and you're good to go.

Are you sure that you have to remove the clutch Firebird? I don't recall having had to remove it last time?...

Edited by Fattonz

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402366802.315587.jpg

That's the case that I'm talking about the one before the green gasket. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402366837.469642.jpg

Also, what is this huge bolt for? It looks like it matches up perfectly with where the crank would be. Is it "easy access" to the seals? That would be too good to be true... Sorry if I sound stupid just tryin to learn.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402366802.315587.jpg

That's the case that I'm talking about the one before the green gasket. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402366837.469642.jpg

Also, what is this huge bolt for? It looks like it matches up perfectly with where the crank would be. Is it "easy access" to the seals? That would be too good to be true... Sorry if I sound stupid just tryin to learn.

That's the inner clutch cover you are pointing to.

Mine doesn't have that big bolt.  But I would say it has something to do with the PV governor...  No, it's not an easy access port to the crank seal.  The seal is located behind the primary gear...

Firebird was right.  I was wrong to say you don't have to remove the clutch assembly.  You do have to remove it to get the primary gear off.  I just consulted my manual....  Everything else I stated above should work for you :thumbsup:

Edited by Fattonz

Are you sure that you have to remove the clutch Firebird? I don't recall having had to remove it last time?...

Not sure about other makes/models but on the 04 cr yes the clutch had to come out. It "overlapped" the drive gear just a touch so that it wouldn't come off unless the whole clutch assembly was out.

Not sure about other makes/models but on the 04 cr yes the clutch had to come out. It "overlapped" the drive gear just a touch so that it wouldn't come off unless the whole clutch assembly was out.

Yep, you were right....see above ;)

• Like 1

You don't need to pull the clutch basket. Nor do you need to take the outer clutch cover off. Remove the appropriate bolts and the out and inner clutch cover come off together. When you say right side case I assume it is the inner clutch cover to which you are referring... You have to remove the right side PV cover and detach the linkage arm. The inner and outer clutch covers come off as an assembly. On some models you may have to remove the WP impeller. Kickstarter too of course, and usually removing the rear brake pedal makes it easier to remove the covers....

This, along with many other procedures should be illustrated in great detail in your KTM model specific service manual ;)

How i do mine also , easy 30 minute job.  :thumbsup:

Thanks guy, and last question will the water pump be affected at all? Do I have to drain the coolant before doing all this?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402367731.415762.jpg

Yep...have to drain coolant and oil.  There's a passage through the front of the engine through which coolant flows...there will be a heck of a mess if you pull the clutch cover without draining the fluids...

• Like 2

Pretty sure all the cr's you have to remove the clutch basket , not seen one yet you didn't.    

Thanks guy, and last question will the water pump be affected at all? Do I have to drain the coolant before doing all this?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402367731.415762.jpg

Are you sure the crank seal is the culprit?  I wouldn't want to tackle an unnecessary job and take a risk, especially if I haven't done the job before.  But then again there's always a first fhing, anyways good luck and let us know how it turns out.

FOLLOW UP ON THE STORY!!  I hate it when people get help from others and don't come back to tell us the results, that's selfish.

• Like 1

I saw this topic and noticed someone recommended the slide hammer trick for removing seals, now not all crank seals can be removed this way but this video and pictures will illustrate how to do it for those that maybe can't visualize it.  FYI some seals have to install and be removed from inside the case which requires splitting so this way will not always work.

Crank seal removal trick

• Like 1

Following up... Just ordered some engine oil seals from Rocky Mountain atv hope they come Friday that's when I will attempt to put them in. The only problem I might run into is removing them but I'm going to try that recommended method with the wood screw

• Like 1

Following up... Just ordered some engine oil seals from Rocky Mountain atv hope they come Friday that's when I will attempt to put them in. The only problem I might run into is removing them but I'm going to try that recommended method with the wood screw

It's easy to do , you got this  :thumbsup: