Sign in to follow this  

XR250R Rear Wheel Removal/installation

I'm going to be replacing the chain & sprockets on my '02 XR250R. Anyone been there & done that? Do you have any tips to give? I'm alittle concerned with the removal & installation of the rear wheel & also the realignment of it. Thanks.

Hi chuckc, rear wheel removal is on page 82 of your owners manual ;) If you don't have the manuals, you can find cheap or free versions to download.

The rear wheel is easy, you'll need a 24mm wrench or a big adjustable one, take a pic with your phone first if in doubt, clean all really well and grease the axle before re-assembly. The chain adjusters align the wheel. Don't push the brake pedal with the wheel removed!

One thing about the rear sprocket is the bolts heads strip easily, so loosen the nuts and only hold the bolts.

Also, you'll have to hold the front sprocket somehow to loosen the bolts. They make a special tool, but I think most carefully jam the sprocket. I use a fat, flat blade screwdriver that catches a part of the engine case underneath and fits well between 2 sprocket teeth.

Be careful, take your time and good luck

The best tips I can give to someone at your knowledge level, get a shop manual and check Youtube for videos on how to do almost anything.

Edited by Trailryder42

The best tips I can give to someone at your knowledge level, get a shop manual and check Youtube for videos on how to do almost anything.

With this and a little confidence and TT, anyone can be a mechanic nowadays!