Sign in to follow this  

James stewart O2 sensor?

Saw this on JS7s bike at press day. It's was during the Thursday practice (press day). What could they get out of using this for practice but not race day?

1402375645174.jpg

Tuning maps would be my educated guess.

• Like 2

Lots of guys use them to get a baseline map and then ditch them and then fine tune as the rider sees fit. Heck, lots of amateurs use auto tune to assist with mapping. 

Its a version of a wide band 02 sensor used to view the Air/Fuel ratio much like reading a plug back in the day. Once they get the map where they want, they remove it and either put a different header on or just plug it.

Why can't he make use of the readings? 

I think that was a feeble attempt to discredit James' mechanic.

• Like 3

I'd imagine this is actually the team's tuner...Tuning is all data now and they likely have a guy strictly dedicated to this

• Like 1

Why can't he make use of the readings? 

Every race JS does bad in, he said they went with the wrong settings.

• Like 2

I agree that it is for tuning.  I used to have a 500rwhp Mustang GT, and all we did a lot of dyno tuning (the cars have O2 sensors, of course)  to get the air/fuel right.  Without that, you don't know if the tuning you are doing is within the safe air/fuel ratios that you need to reduce the risk of engine failure.  It would allow them to go as far as possible within the safe range so that they doin't blow the engine.

This is especially true at the elevation of that track.

Edited by jcm3

The O2 sensor allows them to run a closed loop system during testing and practice. Adding that sensor allows them to collect more data so they can map the EFI properly when the AMA kicks them back down to 80's technology on race day

Edited by meyermetal
  • Like 2

I think that was a feeble attempt to discredit James' mechanic.

I know... I was just asking for an explination. The mechanic is only gonna make the changes that James tells him to make.  

Every race JS does bad in, he said they went with the wrong settings.

Read above post. The mechanic is only going to make the changes that James tells him to make. It has nothing to do with what his mechanic "wants" or is capable of doing.

• Like 1

I know... I was just asking for an explination. The mechanic is only gonna make the changes that James tells him to make.  

Read above post. The mechanic is only going to make the changes that James tells him to make. It has nothing to do with what his mechanic "wants" or is capable of doing.

So the mechanic knows what he's doing, it's James that doesn't. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I know what you're saying and agree for the most part, because most changes are suspension/control type changes which relies on rider feedback. Engine mapping and tuning isn't a matter of feel, and the teams use sensors to come up with the optimum map for any given condition. Most often, EFI delivery is so close to optimum that the difference made by any changes are negligible, but at altitude, those same changes could make an appreciable difference. So maybe they were just seeing just how much of a difference it could make?  B)  

Edited by OKVet

It would be great to have a hidden camera in the Stewart pits to hear what he asks to be changed.

I bet last year Reed said, "Remove the gas cap, shove that Honda into the weeds, roll a Kawasaki under the gas cap, tighten.

I know what you're saying and agree for the most part, because most changes are suspension/control type changes which relies on rider feedback. Engine mapping and tuning isn't a matter of feel, and the teams use sensors to come up with the optimum map for any given condition. Most often, EFI delivery is so close to optimum that the difference made by any changes are negligible, but at altitude, those same changes could make an appreciable difference. So maybe they were just seeing just how much of a difference it could make?  B)  

If I could type better I could point out everything you're wrong about.

• Like 1

I know what you're saying and agree for the most part, because most changes are suspension/control type changes which relies on rider feedback. Engine mapping and tuning isn't a matter of feel, and the teams use sensors to come up with the optimum map for any given condition. Most often, EFI delivery is so close to optimum that the difference made by any changes are negligible, but at altitude, those same changes could make an appreciable difference. So maybe they were just seeing just how much of a difference it could make? B)

I know. I was just being a smart ass because he wasn't talking about mapping changes. He wouldn't know what changes James was talking about or his team made to the bike becAuse he never said what they did. However there is a ton you can do with mapping from fuel delivery to changing ignition settings to dictate how power is delivered. 

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 1

Someone else mentioned above being at elevation really changes the game. I'd imagine they would load up a base map and do quite a bit of adjustment during their practice sessions. I do wonder if they get live data from the bikes wirelessly or if they download after they stop

Everyone that has ever worked for James said his set up's are so far off what any other rider would want. It's pretty well known that he is not the greatest with set up throughout the industry. Heck he couldn't even pay a test rider to ride his bike back in the day.