Sign in to follow this  

06 crf450r kick start

Hey guys just wondering I haven't had much to do with kick start return springs but does this look stretchedImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402380529.142547.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402380548.170915.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402380563.893244.jpg? It looks to me but then again I haven't had much to do with them.

Yeah my kick start is flopping around when my bike it running. Like heaps and it dosent sit where it's ment to. My kick start touches my exhaust. Any ideas?

You can adjust the resting position by which grooves you line it up with...

If it's flopping around then have you tried tightening it up another rotation?

When the bike starts it moved heaps, forwards and back.

I'm not sure what heaps means but yeah that can cause I big problem if you don't address it. Take the two gears apart and look for wear on the teeth and the latch that's bolted to the case. If you didn't just take it off before it started this problem then I'd order a new spring. IF the problem started after you removed it then it probably needs to be tightened a turn.

Yeah well as soon as it started I stopped the bike and haven't started since. Once something happens I never start my bike just so it dosent make more damage. Also if started when I kicked and then the kick starter shot back up as my foot slipped off and it didn't stop. It kept going to the exhaust.

And nah I was riding one day then stopped for a break after like an hour then when to start and what I said in the message before is what happened.

Also diggla mate does the spring look stretched to you? I've seen one on another crf and looked tighter but it looked to be a different year. Where the end of the spring slips into the case was in a different spot

Mine did this after my rebuild. I neglected to line up the punch mark on the ratcheting gear with the one on the kick start shaft. Doh! But when I did, no more flopping around freely when it was folded in. Are your punch marks lined up?

So I'm not sure if you previously had this apart or not BUT either way you need to tear it apart. Sounds like that latch behind the gear is missing or loose and not catching the gear and pulling it back in to disengage for some reason... Take the clutch off and that kick start gear out and let us know what you find

Also it the ratcheting gear likely to move? Cause I didn't put a socket on it at all. Was going perfect then stopped riding for a break and when to start and bam! Got the problem so I stopped the bike ad pushed it home

Yeah I never touched it before it happened. Was going great then just happened. Could it be the starter ratchet?

yeah that's what I was talking about... Take it apart and Findout

Yeah I looked at diagrams and had a look to see what it could be. To me looks like it could be the that, the return spring or the rear spring.