Sign in to follow this  

crank bearing

So. Looks like I need some crank bearings. Had crazy vibration. Now I pulled my stator cover off and it smells like gas and the crank is very sloppy. Should I throw some new bearings and seals in or an whole new crank. Engine history us unknown

If your going to split the cases to do the bearings and don't know when the last bottom end was done I would definitely go ahead and replace the crank as well, just for peace of mind.

Im looking at a full wiseco bottom namura top end for 350 cad. Shipped. Im so cheap though.. have good compression so im tempted to keep the top end and save 100 bucks

I wish I had a pic of the OEM rod that broke on me and took out an almost brand new cylinder. I had just done the top end and decided to run the crank another season. The small end snapped at the wrist pin about 2 minutes into my first race of the day and about 15 seconds after I moved into first. The tragic part is I already had a new crank when I did the top end, but didn't feel like splitting the cases at the time.

Peace of mind or piece of engine?

• Like 2

Ya. Figured not knowing the history I would just do it all. Bought an 8 dollar hour meter seen as it will be a "new motor"

Im looking at a full wiseco bottom namura top end for 350 cad. Shipped. Im so cheap though.. have good compression so im tempted to keep the top end and save 100 bucks

dude do NOT put a wiseco crank in your bike, and for that matter xnay on the namura crap to, return that rubbish

• Like 1

Do you have any FIRST hand experience with either?

yup, i mite b a motorcycle mechanic, and i mite have raced mx for 30 years, and i mite have even been in the pro class, and i mite have ridden the unadilla 125 gp support class in 92, then again i could b a keyboard jockey, perhaps you should look up the crap your buying, and maybe you should stop being cheap and do it rite

Well you never know right. I can barely justify spending this much on this thing and its all I can afford. Wasnt trying to be rude but you know how forums work, couple home "mechanics" put a piston in backwards and brand x must be garbage.

• Like 1

If I were you I would order bearings then get a new rod and send your crank to RBdesigns and have him do the crank. 

I have 350+ hours on my wiseco crank and bearings and its still tight. I have seen a lot of posts about how bad the wiseco cranks are but i have never had a problem with one. I think people are forgetting that they sell thousands and will have some bad ones just like oem or other companys do. I will be putting another one in my bike soon just because I have a lot of hours for any crank. As for the namura piston I have never used one so I cant speak for them.

Exacly there is always horror stories. Also I believe the aftermarket has really stepped it up in recent years now that we can bitch on the internet. Not that I will be using my crank anyway.. because turns out its an 02 and I ordered 03 parts. Anybody know if I can just get an 03 flywheel and use an 03 crank? If not ill just reuse the crank and put new bearings piston etc from my kit and resell the crank. Depending on condition of course

Exacly there is always horror stories. Also I believe the aftermarket has really stepped it up in recent years now that we can bitch on the internet. Not that I will be using my crank anyway.. because turns out its an 02 and I ordered 03 parts. Anybody know if I can just get an 03 flywheel and use an 03 crank? If not ill just reuse the crank and put new bearings piston etc from my kit and resell the crank. Depending on condition of course

Well that stinks you cant use it. Why don't you return it for the correct year?

So im thinking about getting a gytr heavy flywheel for an 03 and because all the other parts are the same. I believe I can use an 03 crank with an 03 flywheel. And its the same price as just a flywheel weight witch I want anyway

Ok so iv got my case split and whatnot. Turns out it had a hotrods crank in it. Con rod wasnt great on it either so I got an 03 flywheel and going to try that. Didnt have a case gasket in it and there are a few marks where the crank rubbed. Im guesing because no gaske to take the space

Ok so iv got my case split and whatnot. Turns out it had a hotrods crank in it. Con rod wasnt great on it either so I got an 03 flywheel and going to try that. Didnt have a case gasket in it and there are a few marks where the crank rubbed. Im guesing because no gaske to take the space

there is not supposed be a crankcase gasket it uses a sealant and 1 o"ring. BTW is that a 125 or 250?

Edited by cookiemonsterMoA

250. Oh ok. Thought there was one in my kit but thay must be for the side cover