Sign in to follow this  

92 YZ250 Died after hard back brake use!

I was hitting a section of trail out the bush here and a dude came in off a side trail slower than me, so I slammed on the back brake without pulling the clutch in, I was doing about 25mph.. Bike instantly cut out, back wheel locked up, I could not shift into neutral and all the other gears didn't feel like they were shifting..

I dragged the bike off the trail, managed to shift it into some kind of gear kick it over and attempt to take off, as soon as I let the clutch out a little it would just stall instantly.. I messed around with the shifter before trying to start it in a higher gear, I think it was about 3rd gear, the bike managed to take off under heavy throttle but as soon as I let go of the clutch the back wheel would lock up again..

The bike will not go into neutral when it's running and when its not.. Engine sounds fine and revs up easily, starts first kick, has a ton of compression, it was running fine all day until I locked up the back brake, then it died.

I'm contemplating pulling the motor and splitting the cases, but I'd rather avoid it if I can..

Sounds like something in the transmission or clutch got bent or broken. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but yes... Split the cases and find the problem. You will be glad you did

It doesnt sound like it, but make sure your rear wheel isnt locked up as well...maybe the brake stuck....prob not but you never know. 

Then, yay rebuild! Just think, youll have a 100% fresh motor when youre done!

Cheers guys, I spent last night building a nice clear work bench in my garage at a good height ready for the rebuild!

I will take my time with this build, do everything I should have when I had the engine out of the frame last time :D

Going smoothly so far, just waiting on the flywheel puller from eBay to show up so I can get a good look at the gears.. This is my first attempt at pulling any bike motor apart.. Nothing too difficult so far.

Who needs a clutch basket holder.. Just use some tie down strap and wedge it good.. A little impact driver helped out..

A28BD51F-12F5-4095-8F28-DD148B205B1F_zps

The rebuild station:

0A80A173-ED1D-48C3-A686-8DDD280049EE_zps

Cannot wait to get this thing ripping again after I figure out whats jamming in the tranny