Sign in to follow this  

CR 500 to 2002 AF conversion question

Hello all,

people have mentioned that the Gen 3 AF is the easiest to shove a 500 motor into.

Can anyone lead me to a thread where I can find detailed info on which parts I need for the physical conversion?

If you have done this, please feel free to show me some pictures of the conversion process and type a few words about it.

From the top of my head I think I would need:

- motor

- pipe & exhaust

- CDI (does the 02 250 CDI work?)

- carburator (PWK 38 airstriker good for a 500?)

- some sort of head stay for the 500!?

Do I have to shave the frame or is any welding needed?

Thank you!

Or the unbanned site as well..

If you are serious about doing is will help you with some info.

I put my 90 cr500 motor into my 04 cr 250 frame two years ago. I had a detailed post on cr500riders. But it got deleted some how and I just don't feel like typing and linking all the pics back into it.

Send me a pm and I will give you a call an wall you though it.

Or just do some reading at either site. All the info is there.

Hello all,

people have mentioned that the Gen 3 AF is the easiest to shove a 500 motor into.

Can anyone lead me to a thread where I can find detailed info on which parts I need for the physical conversion?

If you have done this, please feel free to show me some pictures of the conversion process and type a few words about it.

From the top of my head I think I would need:

- motor

- pipe & exhaust

- CDI (does the 02 250 CDI work?)

- carburator (PWK 38 airstriker good for a 500?)

- some sort of head stay for the 500!?

Do I have to shave the frame or is any welding needed?

Thank you!

+1 to the CR500riders and bannedcr500riders sites, tons of info. The 02 ignition can work, but needs to be modified, more than one opinion on best CR500 carb PWK 38 A/S or PWK 39.5. There's a couple ways I'm aware to handle conversion, stretching, notching and cut and extend/weld. Other details like radiators and swing arm too. Unless you have some alum weld and fab skill you might consider one of the (reputable) guys who does this stuff regularly. Beware though, there is at least one shady outfit offering this service.

• Like 1

CP500s sells a kit that gives you the new Y-Beam and everything else you need to make the motor fit. They have it for the 04-09 CRF250 and 05-08 CRF450 as well as the 02-07 CR250. Check them out