Sign in to follow this  

dirtbike super hard to kick start kx 250f

I have an 06 kx 250f and heres a little background, it will kick over after 5-10 kicks from cold. If i stall it on the trail it can take sometimes 30-40 kicks. and yes i am using the hot start lever and kickinging it from tdc. Theres no way this can be normal, i'm more tired of trying to kick start it the bike than i am after a dag of riding. any ideas?

Time for a valve adjustment or valve replacement.

Classic symptom of intake valves that are not opening far enough or that are leaking

Do a valve adjustment, which will determine how far the intake valves have sunk into the head, letting you know if you should replace those valves now or if you can wait a bit.

Lots of stuff could cause this, but first step would be to check your float bowl level.  If the float is sitting too high, it can cause what you are dealing with.  You could do a compression check, too.  Make sure the valves have enough clearance.  Then go to carb cleaning and adjustment.  The hole on the gate plate goes down . . . just in case  . . . and the best thing I ever bought for my 06 was a remote fuel screw.  Worth its weight in gold.