Sign in to follow this  

Over the boot pants with pads?

Any recommendations? Thinking about Klim daker but there are no pads. I wear motocross boots so I would like to skip strap on knee pads if possible. Any knee pads that fit the Klim pouches?

I have last year's Mojave and Dakar Pants and have no issue with over the boot. These have light duty pads in the knee area and any more would be for me too tight. Have you contacted Klim?

• Like 1

The Kilm hip and knee pads are the exact same in the Dakar and Mojave - both about the shape and size of your open hand. You can fit anybody's knee braces or shin/knee guards in either Klim pant mentioned by me. I have worn both Asterisk and Pod knee braces in the Klim pants with plenty of room for movement and ventilation. Cheers

The Kilm hip and knee pads are the exact same in the Dakar and Mojave - both about the shape and size of your open hand. You can fit anybody's knee braces or shin/knee guards in either Klim pant mentioned by me. I have worn both Asterisk and Pod knee braces in the Klim pants with plenty of room for movement and ventilation. Cheers

Thanks. Think I'll get them and shop pads once I have them.

I like my over the boot pants, but in tight single track in the woods branches seem to reach out and grab them.  That may not be a problem for you.  It's something I keep in mind for safety.

• Like 1

Not worth it, offroad.

I've got a pair of Tourmaster overpants with foam pads in the knees.  It's nice to get the knee protection with the pants, but I certainly wouldn't trust them to stay put in a crash. 

When I crashed on the street the last time, the cheap strap-onto-my-knee pads I was wearing slid off to the side of my knee.

Truthfully I really like these pants for shooting photos in the snow... waterproof, and the knee pads are nice when I kneel down. 

I bought them to wear commuting in shitty weather.  They work well for that too, but I haven't crash-tested them in that application yet.

i-HLCxKQB-L.jpg

i-FmzmqB8-L.jpg

I have a pair of Dakars. Dakars come with foam knee and hip pads already in them (at least mine did). You can put thicker knee pads in them, BUT the pads will rotate convieniently out of the way when you crash, so what's the point? I wear strap on knee pads (that extend into my boot) under them for that reason.

• Like 1

I like the Mojave pants. The most comfortable pair I've ever had by a wide margin. The velcro on the bottom lets you cinch them tight around your boots. Never had anything grab mine but I have before with a cheap ass pair of over the boot types. They were like bell bottoms and had no way to take out the slack. Not sure on knee braces or pads under them though. But Klim is great gear.

One more vote for the Klim Dakars..............really like how well they have held up and how well made they are.

Dakars are in the mail. Will figure out the knee pads later. I wear mx boots do all knew pads go partially in the boot? I can barely get the top buckle closed due to my mtn bike calves. I can't imagine getting anything else in the boot.

The Moose knee guards I have (link in above post) stop right at the top of my boot, they do not tuck in. Although I do have longer legs (36” inseam) so maybe that is why???

Kennedy

The Dakars are $200 + and you could spend $500 for a pair of pants easy, or -$100 (ebay); just wondering what you get for 2,3,4,5 times the money.