Sign in to follow this  

Front Tank Mounts

Yesterday I noticed two tabs on the front of the gas tank that looked like mounting points, are they? If so I've never known about them lol. Only spot I can see that might work is the horn bracket. I only bolt my tank down with the two holes in the back (under the seat) but it vibrates like crazy. Thanks

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

Those two pins have rubber bushings that the front of the tank hooks into. Sounds like you're missing those

Those two pins have rubber bushings that the front of the tank hooks into. Sounds like you're missing those

I have the little donut bushings. There's two tabs on the actual tank between where the rad shrouds bolt up. I guess my question is how many actual bolts should there be to mount the tank? 2 or 4? Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

I have the little donut bushings. There's two tabs on the actual tank between where the rad shrouds bolt up. I guess my question is how many actual bolts should there be to mount the tank? 2 or 4?

2, it rests on the donut bushings in front and is secured to the frame in the rear using 2 bolts, at least that is how S/SM's mount, E models mount differently.

2, it rests on the donut bushings in front and is secured to the frame in the rear using 2 bolts, at least that is how S/SM's mount, E models mount differently.

Thanks, just got hopeful when I saw those tabs. Wonder why they are there.

Thanks, just got hopeful when I saw those tabs. Wonder why they are there.

Haven't had the tank off in a while, so I am not sure what tabs you are talking about. Do you have any pics?

Edit: In response to the vibrations, do you have the rubber bushings underneath the mounting holes in the rear of the tank?

Edited by Wisconsinite762

Haven't had the tank off in a while, so I am not sure what tabs you are talking about. Do you have any pics?

Edit: In response to the vibrations, do you have the rubber bushings underneath the mounting holes in the rear of the tank?

Not my pic but you can see the tabs here

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402409322.218696.jpg

I was missing a rubber bushing but I'm replacing it. I also was using washers on the bolts instead of the grommets which cracked the tab the bolts pass through. Got grommets coming and I fixed the tab so hopefully that will keep the vibes down