Sign in to follow this  

What is the best Carburetor for the CR500?

What is the best Carburetor for the CR500?

I’m interested in your experiences with carbs for the CR500.  My OEM carb starts easy, but has a "4 cycle spot” from 1/8-1/4 throttle and then a big hit when it goes into 2 cycle above 1/4 throttle.  It’s very difficult to tune out during the summer heat.   Not a problem on the motocross track, but in the tight trails it’s a handful.

I see the Service Honda bikes use a Keihin 39.5mm carb, but I can’t find a listing for a 39.5 in the Keihin catalog.  

I did find a listing for a Keihin 39mm PWK and its very reasonably priced.  

Some folks are telling me to run the Keihin 38mm PWK Air Striker as it’s easier to tune for a wide range of conditions.  I've ridden a CR250 with an Air Striker and the throttle control is awesome, but I'm concerned it's too small for a 500.

When I had my '91 CR500, the seller put in a PWK 38mm, screw top style. He set this bike up to ride in the Baja 500. Bike had an overdrive 5th gear.

He said it can go over 100 mph. And I believe him too, after owning and racing that bad mutha of a bike.

I had no jetting problems whatsoever in the time that I owned it. always started up 1-2 kicks, provided I put enough muscle to kick it all the way to the end of the stroke.