Kdx with kx 125 frame

Not to send you away, but

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=111&sid=c7bc67afad50c22bd7c44bfdbfefc7fc

KDX-MX Hybrid forum. Tons of information, and some how-to's. 

Not a simple bolt in conversion, requires some slicing and fabrication. What you end up with is modern ergonomics, vastly more tunable suspension, and maybe a 0-25 lb lighter bike depending how it's all setup. 

• Like 1

Not to send you away, but

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=111&sid=c7bc67afad50c22bd7c44bfdbfefc7fc

KDX-MX Hybrid forum. Tons of information, and some how-to's.

Not a simple bolt in conversion, requires some slicing and fabrication. What you end up with is modern ergonomics, vastly more tunable suspension, and maybe a 0-25 lb lighter bike depending how it's all setup.

Thank you dude

Damn! :shocked: What did you do to that thing to add so much weight? I know the '00 KX125 lists a curb weight of 196 pounds. I can't see the KDX200 engine by itself, which is based off the KX125, adding that much weight.

Dirt Rider weighed my year KX in at 208 pounds ready to ride/no gas.  I have a heavy duty skid plate, hand guards, stainless steel rear rotor & caliper guards and an 18" rear wheel with heavy duty tube.  I'm thinking the 18" rear is a big contributor to the extra weight.

Dirt Rider weighed my year KX in at 208 pounds ready to ride/no gas.  I have a heavy duty skid plate, hand guards, stainless steel rear rotor & caliper guards and an 18" rear wheel with heavy duty tube.  I'm thinking the 18" rear is a big contributor to the extra weight.

The difference in my 04 Yz125 rear wheel and 04 wr450 rear wheel ready to bolt on was 3.5 lbs

I couldn't believe how much better my 450 worked with the lighter wheel

• 4 weeks later...

If you are careful with your hybrid build and pick your parts wisely your hybrid can come close to the original weight of the 125.

My 03 125 hybrid ready to ride w/o fuel weighs 112 lbs.

Edited by MarioB

If you are careful with your hybrid build and pick your parts wisely your hybrid can come close to the original weight of the 125.

My 03 125 hybrid ready to ride w/o fuel weighs 112 lbs.

Helium in the tires?

I'm hoping to finish my '03 KX200WR ('03 KX125 w/ KDX200 motor) next week. I weighed the engine (with oil) and it weighed 55.5 lbs. This is about 9 lbs heavier than the KX125 engine. I'll weigh the complete bike when I'm finished and post it back to this forum.

If you are using the stock rear KX wheel and happen to remove it at some point, could you throw it on the scale?

Edited by H-B-R

The 2003 KX125 rear wheel (ready to ride including spacers) is 25.5 lbs with a Bridgestone M404 tire.

Thanks for doing that.  I had always suspected the 18" rear with heavy duty tube was going to be substantially more that the stock KX wheel.  But I just pulled my rear wheel off and weighed the entire thing and it came in at ~24 pounds.  I have my 200 engine out of the bike right now and that came in at 50 pounds. 

I threw a 45# and 10# weight on the scale and it was nearly spot on.

Thanks for doing that.  I had always suspected the 18" rear with heavy duty tube was going to be substantially more that the stock KX wheel.  But I just pulled my rear wheel off and weighed the entire thing and it came in at ~24 pounds.  I have my 200 engine out of the bike right now and that came in at 50 pounds. 

I threw a 45# and 10# weight on the scale and it was nearly spot on.

I'm surprised that you came up with an engine weight 5.5 lbs less than the weight that I obtained.  I weighed the wheels and engine with Detecto doctor's office scales.  I am pretty sure that they are very accurate - I'll try calibrating them with weights using your method.  I took my weight both with and without the parts and subtracted the difference to put the scales into the middle of their weight range. The engine weight was with transmission fluid and carb.  Note that the rear wheel weight was with a medium duty tube rather than either the light stock tube of a really heavy duty tube.