Sign in to follow this  

SDI midvalve help PSF fork

So I decided to get some SDI mid-valves to attempt to keep the fork higher in the stroke and combat the diving. My SDI mid-valves should be here today and I have the forks apart ready to install everything.

It's the first time I've had the shim stacks apart and messed with anything like this. I do my own fork oil changes but haven't messed with shim stacks until now.

Anyone done this mod yet that can help me out with some pointers?

I sort of understand the spec sheet that comes with it, but it looks like the whole compression side is totally different and the spring is not used now?

And I just realized I have to drill holes in the piston.

I'm taking good pictures and measurements in case I have to put It back to stock valving.

I have some. I drilled a 1.5mm bleed hole as instructed. It does not use a regular spring for the mid-valve float, but a shim that acts as a leaf spring (for lack of a better term). The 14 Honda KYB pistons work similar, but use a regular spring. I think the instructions that come with them suck unless they have updated them since I got mine. Since I installed mine I have sent the forks to Craig Decker at Enzo. I don't know what he changed, but they work even better than before.

Thanks for the reply.

The directions if you want to call them that, I guess they're referred to as a build sheet. Does it come with more than that one sheet of paper?

This is my first time doing this, I guess I'm having a hard time understanding how it goes back together or in what order since there's some changes to the stock order.

I have everything laid out right now and marked in case I mess something up.

Hi guys

What is the benefit of installing those midvalves ? Just love my fork (kx450 2014) and im thinking about getting sdi mids . But must know if it gets any better ??

Hi guys

What is the benefit of installing those midvalves ? Just love my fork (kx450 2014) and im thinking about getting sdi mids . But must know if it gets any better ??I

I like the forks too, but think it blows through the mid section too fast and goes right to the bottom of the stroke.

Here's what SDI says it does. "SDI MSV piston makes a more linear dampening curve and creates more of a low speed dampening. The piston decreases the high speed dampening spike that a production piston has. Our piston is a simple."

I have a similar post in the suspension section about this valve and installation, it's been a challenge and the package was missing some shims and the piston had to be de-burred to get it to fit right, but I'm excited to get it in and try it.

ok

when you have it installed then you must promise me a good rewiew before i buy them ,is the chart only for mx or is it  possible to valve it for enduro ??

ok

when you have it installed then you must promise me a good rewiew before i buy them ,is the chart only for mx or is it  possible to valve it for enduro ??

Will do.

Just a little testing delay for me. I was changing the oil on the bike and decided to cut open the oil filter after the sand ride down in Oregon to take a look. I never got it all the way open, I slipped (like a dumbass) with the razor blade and stuck that thing an inch into my hand. Somehow I missed all then tendons, thankfully. Six stiches later with one vertical mattress stitch to get the inside pulled together and I'm benched for a week.

I hope I'm all better to go ride orange bikes for free next week at Washougal.

IMG_20140616_150931749_zps51cef18f.jpg

So I got a chance to take the bike out today and the mid-valves do as described, they feel almost the same, but they just keep everything higher in the stroke. Most noticeable in the whoops to me, overall, a very good feel so far. I need to take out a little bit of fork oil and do some more testing tomorrow, hopefully.

I drilled 1.5mm bleed holes. What about you? What are your thoughts on the set-up?

Edited by duhameister

i havent got the valves yet .i tried to buy them here in sweden but they wouldnt sell me the valves without doing the install (jerkoffs) 300$ for the install ??? when i can do it myself  ,so i ordered them with a friend who is in the states now and are supposed to come home on friday ,but i read somewhere that some guys epoxy one of the bleed holes in the oem mid and maybe i should try that as a compromise before i get the valves ,and the other thing is i need to soften the basevalve aswell to get it to work better in hare and enduro

So I got a chance to take the bike out today and the mid-valves do as described, they feel almost the same, but they just keep everything higher in the stroke. Most noticeable in the whoops to me, overall, a very good feel so far. I need to take out a little bit of fork oil and do some more testing tomorrow, hopefully.

I was just reading your post on the SDI mid-valve upgrade for KX450F PSF forks. I own a 2013 KX450f and thinking to get that for it. Since you had it for a while, do you recommend that, and did it made a noticeable difference, after spending some time on it? Also, have you done anything else to your KX(Shock, Engine,...........)that worth the money to get, with noticeable improvements? Any input, i greatly appropriate it. 

I still have the SDI midvalve installed and have been happy with the final results. The biggest difference is the fact that it doesn't dive when coming into corner allowing me to stand longer.

Hope this helps.