Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400SM vs KTM 350 exc-f with SM conversion

hi all. was apart of this forum awhile ago as CRFkid14 now im back as a 21y/o who loves motards!

im torn between the 2. im worrried the 350 will require too much maintence for my riding. it will be a DD in summer and toy and ill have my truck for winter/ rain days. is the maintence really that bad on the KTM? any other suggestions for supermotos? i want something fun that i can wheelie and drive everyday and sometimes pretty hard! any help would be great!!!!

p.s. ive been to both drz and ktm sub forums but i figured id post here cause of them being SM's. THANKS ALL!!!:D

living in NY getting a title for it would be new impossible. trust me ive thought about that many times!

hi all. was apart of this forum awhile ago as CRFkid14 now im back as a 21y/o who loves motards! im torn between the 2. im worrried the 350 will require too much maintence for my riding. it will be a DD in summer and toy and ill have my truck for winter/ rain days. is the maintence really that bad on the KTM? any other suggestions for supermotos? i want something fun that i can wheelie and drive everyday and sometimes pretty hard! any help would be great!!!! p.s. ive been to both drz and ktm sub forums but i figured id post here cause of them being SM's. THANKS ALL!!! :D

stick with the ktm.  the 350exc can go many hours before a rebuild when not raced off road.  My buddy just did a top end on his 2013 at about 150hrs and honestly he could have gone longer.  His is a Dualsport/ Trail bike AND he has completely submerged the bike before about 45hrs before the rebuild. 

The KTM is very reliable, FI, More power than the drz and a lot less weight.

• Like 1

stick with the ktm.  the 350exc can go many hours before a rebuild when not raced off road.  My buddy just did a top end on his 2013 at about 150hrs and honestly he could have gone longer.  His is a Dualsport/ Trail bike AND he has completely submerged the bike before about 45hrs before the rebuild. 

The KTM is very reliable, FI, More power than the drz and a lot less weight.

im just worried about the maintence. ill be putting upwards of 300+ miles a week on this bike between work and "supermoto sundays" with friends(Yes i took that from JakeTheGardenSnake.) If i have to change the oil every week thats an extra 30bucks or more out of my pocket and to me its just not worth it with still paying the KTM premium of 10k. now if your saying ican change it ever 1-2,000 miles and it will still run great then heck yes id go with the KTM.

well 300+ miles a week is a different story for sure.  My buddy with the 350 changes his every 6 hours....  Part of it depends on what oil you use.  He said after 6hrs he could tell a difference in the clutch.  I think for a non racing application he is being very overly cautious BUT having said that, on my drz i did oil changes every 2000 miles and other than a stator failure at 15k miles never had a lick of trouble out of it.  If you will really be putting 300miles a week then something like the dizzer might be a better route.

What kind of miles are those?  Highway constant rpm? 

DRz can hold up to 2qts and it's not run nearly as hot, especially after you jet it a bit richer or mode it to flow better.  Stock exhaust, cam and carb really lean it out and make it run hot. 

Edited by shift1313

I drive over a mountain every day, well a small mountain so it will be mid range rpm twistes. That's for about 3 -5 miles of my 11 mile commute one way. The rest is 40-55mph and right before work for 1 mile 30mph. Ive officially decided in DRZ!

I drive over a mountain every day, well a small mountain so it will be mid range rpm twistes. That's for about 3 -5 miles of my 11 mile commute one way. The rest is 40-55mph and right before work for 1 mile 30mph. Ive officially decided in DRZ!

so 22miles a day 5 times a week.  Planning on riding 200 miles every weekend?

Really any race bred machine you get will require more maint.  Even the WR will need oil changes more than the DRZ just based on temps and oil capacity.  Also they are lighter than the drz but still a 280-290lbs machine in full trim.

If you can find an xr650r that has already been tagged locally that would be a good option as well. 

i loved my drz.  You can save a lot of money if you find an S model and convert it yourself.  I only got rid of mine cause i don't ride on the street anymore.

8973506162_3079edaf5c_b.jpg

so 22miles a day 5 times a week. Planning on riding 200 miles every weekend?

Really any race bred machine you get will require more maint. Even the WR will need oil changes more than the DRZ just based on temps and oil capacity. Also they are lighter than the drz but still a 280-290lbs machine in full trim.

If you can find an xr650r that has already been tagged locally that would be a good option as well.

i loved my drz. You can save a lot of money if you find an S model and convert it yourself. I only got rid of mine cause i don't ride on the street anymore.

8973506162_3079edaf5c_b.jpg

give or take. Every nice weekend I'll be out all day cause I have a Monday through Friday job. And Thursday and Friday nights I go to lake George NY with a bunch of buddies and some other weeknight rides. I'll be up there that's for sure!

That's a sweet DRZ!

give or take. Every nice weekend I'll be out all day cause I have a Monday through Friday job. And Thursday and Friday nights I go to lake George NY with a bunch of buddies and some other weeknight rides. I'll be up there that's for sure!

That's a sweet DRZ!

Thanks, it was an 02 S model that i got basically new in 03. Sold it earlier this year. 

motofun4_zpsaf7461d7.jpg

That looks sweet!!!

Well today I went just to talk to the dealer about a drz( supposed to be 2 weeks out before they get one) and guess what?! They were unloading one as I pulled in... Finishing paperwork and picking it up on Saturday. Doing all my insurance tomorrow! Ill post pics when I get it! ( I know or it didn't happen) :D

I personally would look for a bigger KTM than the 350 for what you are planning to do with it. Yes the Diz would be fine for the daily use thing, but you would not be happy with it on Sunday. You WILL get smoked! Even the 250 KTMs, WRs, etc will use you as a pylon.

I personally would look for a bigger KTM than the 350 for what you are planning to do with it. Yes the Diz would be fine for the daily use thing, but you would not be happy with it on Sunday. You WILL get smoked! Even the 250 KTMs, WRs, etc will use you as a pylon.

Don't be so sure. I think it's all about the rider. If more power is needed on a DZR for long straights that can be accomplished easy and reliably. They are a little heavy though.

Some published weights: 

Husky 630 = 320 lbs. dry

DRZ 400   = 321 lbs. dry

YZ 450      = 238 lbs. wet

WR 450    =  271 lbs. wet

KTM 500 EXC = 246 lbs. dry

If all riders are of fairly equal abilities, you WILL get smoked on a drz. Even riders with somewhat less ability will hand you your ass if he is on a better bike. The drz is heavy, and under powered for a supermoto track bike, and is severly outclassed by a lot of other bikes....unless it is in a class dedicated to drz' only. Then it is on par, and up to the rider

to me its the fun factor aswell as the reliability. id rather have it be reliable and fun than fun and maintnence oriented. and the DRZ fits the bill perfect!!!

just got off the phone with insurance company and they faxed everything over to the dealer! ill be riding it home tomorrow after paperwork is finished!!!

• Like 1

to me its the fun factor aswell as the reliability. id rather have it be reliable and fun than fun and maintnence oriented. and the DRZ fits the bill perfect!!!

just got off the phone with insurance company and they faxed everything over to the dealer! ill be riding it home tomorrow after paperwork is finished!!!

Good choice.

i did many drag races with wr426 and 450 on and off road.  My drz won several times against the 450.  The drz is a very fun and reliable bike for sure.  I personally wouldnt but new but there are very things i would buy new anyways.  The values just drop so much and unless its radically different and i have to have it now.....  Either way you will have fun for sure!

and about the power and weight thing.  At the track my drz400 passed many faster bikes.  If you are commuting on it look into a new seat right away.  your butt will thank you.  I ran the SDG tall seat and despite the extra foam it was a brick.  do some research in the drz forum to find out what guys like.