Sign in to follow this  

Convert 85 XR200R to 12volt?

I am trying to add hi/low beam and tail/brake/blinkers to my 85 XR200R to make it street legal. It's a lot easier to find 12V lights than 6V lights. I read on another forum,(http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893273) that guy was able to convert his to 12 volt by adding a Trailtech AC regulator (http://www.trailtech.net/ac-volatge-regulator). The post doesn't say much, if that's all he had to do, or exactly how he did it. Does anyone who if this works, and how it would be wired? Do I keep my stock regulator, or does this just replace it?

Or, does someone have a different way to convert it to 12 volts? I'm trying to avoid spending lots of money on a whole new stator setup.

Thanks

Is that the regulator that the 84 xr250r came with? I bought a regulator off Ebay just because mine didn't have one, but it looks just like the one in your picture, and "84 XR250R" is hand written on the side of it.

Thanks

xr200sam, in response to your PM,

One end of the stator coil is soldered to the stator frame. You will need to unsolder the wire from the frame. Then run an additional wire the same size as the original through the rubber boot. Be careful with the black wire, its for the ignition. Make sure the boot is sealed with silicone, the stator housing is wet. Getting the wire through the boot is the hardest part. The new wire gets soldered to the end of the coil that you unsoldered from the stator frame. Make sure the joint is insulated and routed so that the flywheel doesn't hit the wire.

The regulator is pretty straightforward. Yellow and pink wires connect to the stator. Blue wire is 12VAC and green is ground.

You dont need to float he ground to use this regulator, just ground the pink and green to the frame. The yellow is AC in and white/yellow is AC regulated output.

• Like 1