Sign in to follow this  

rm 250 bottom end

I have a 96 rm 250 I ripped apart todo the top end . I feel a little play in the crank and im thinking about rebuilding the bottom end but im not sure about what kit to go with ? Also if I am better off taking it to a shop. I havent heard to many good reviews about hot rod or wiesco bottom end kits . Let me know if you have any advice or opinions thanks!

• Like 1

I have a 96 rm 250 I ripped apart todo the top end . I feel a little play in the crank and im thinking about rebuilding the bottom end but im not sure about what kit to go with ? Also if I am better off taking it to a shop. I havent heard to many good reviews about hot rod or wiesco bottom end kits . Let me know if you have any advice or opinions thanks!

If you have a service manual and mechanical capabilities go for it. If not call ken o'conner racing he will build the whole engine for around 800 bucks . For sure go with pro X or hotrods and koyo bearings this is the last place you want to try and skimp out on parts cost. You will need a few special tools to do it also ( flywheel puller, case splitter ) minimum .  Replace all circlips in the transmission , and all lock washers . Follow that book step by step not skipping any and put the hammer away you will have a very nice long lasting engine in the end . 

I think I'm going to try this myself. I like to think of myself as mechanically inclined I am a Maintenance Mechanic after all. And the other requirements or things to stay away from I think I'm going to go for Pro X rod rebuild and order all koyo bearings and always oem gaskets and seals. Should I mess with the water pump? Or any thing else? I ordered a clymer's manual hopefully that give me a better idea of what to stay away from also

I have a 2000 rm 250 that needs a rebuild. The dealer wants almost 800 for just the oem crank!! Anybody know where I can find a good one somewhere else? Feel like they're ripping me off, probably just because of how much money people have around here lol

I have a 2000 rm 250 that needs a rebuild. The dealer wants almost 800 for just the oem crank!! Anybody know where I can find a good one somewhere else? Feel like they're ripping me off, probably just because of how much money people have around here lol

just buy a rod kit and have your crank rebuilt my local shop did mine for 50 plus parts.

$400 for an entire new wiseco top, bottom and eveything needed to replace for my 03 rm 250. Hit up ebay, tell the dealer to stuff it and pocket they other $400, or spend it on a shop doing up the whole bike.

Edited by Afrothunderkat