Sign in to follow this  

Need Help Making 2008 KTM 250SX More Trail Friendly

hi all.

i recently purchased a 2008 ktm 250sx. so far i love it. the only thing I'm having issues with is long trail rides.

the guy who i bought it off of had it set up for racing. he had the red power valve spring in, and the suspension was set of for MX. on long straights, when i open her up, it seems that the front end likes to bounce around (could this be that the suspension is too stiff? or the front wheel just needs to be trued?)  I'm wondering if i could just set the suspension to the xcw specs (like in the 250xcw manual) to make it more trail friendly. also, it seems to hit a little too hard for the trails i ride, even with the green power valve spring in. is there anything i could do to make it less jumpy? like a larger front sprocket/smaller rear sprocket (if i remember correctly, that would tone it down a little, feel free to correct me)

any and all help would be appreciated. this is my first 2 stroke, and I'm jumping up from an 06 250sxf. so really, any advice at all on how to ride the damn thing would be great!

thanks!

Dave

If you do a search you will find numerous threads on exactly this issue, and I know that I have posted before on exactly what I have done to my 09 sx (just look for posts by rpt50). I am very happy with the results.

Regarding your steering stability issues, you may find that some of the steps you take with suspension and set up sufficiently address the issue. I never was able to get a happy balance of turning precision in the woods and stability at speed until I finally broke down and bought a steering damper. Expensive, but solved the problem immediately. I recommend you try cheaper solutions first however.

I have an 06' 250sx that I trail ride. I put soft springs on it, front and rear. I put the green P.V. spring in it, I put an FMF turbine core sparky on it and I run a 120 rear tire on it instead of the 110. It works great in the Northern California mountains. I don't ride more than about 40 miles at a time so I don't need to get a larger tank. I just fill it up every time I come back to the truck. The larger rear tire acts like having a heaver fly wheel and helps to prevent pinch flats

Your 08' has a handy two stage ignition map like my 2011 250sx. Just unplug the wire under the tank and it goes to the secondary map setting. That is for a more midrange type of power and makes the bike a lot more fun to ride off road. I have a map switch on my handle bars so I can change it while riding. I pretty much leave it in the secondary map. It is more fun that way.

I have an '11 300 xc that is a great motor, but before I had an '11 350 sxf. The guy that swapped me wanted his forks (kreft moto valved). Needless to say, he wanted his forks and the 350 was valved towards mx. I bit the bullet and gave Adam at kreftmoto a shot to see how it would work on the sxf forks. Three words... Absolutely effin' awesome! We ride whooped out sand in this part of the country, went from getting beat up through the whoops to ripping 4th gear and tracking straight through. In the rest of the usual terrain, the suspension action is awesome as well. I would really love to know where I put my WER damper, though! You don't need to go to Adam, (even though I highly recommend his work) but a revalve might be a good idea.

I found a good deal on the bike. All the xcw's in my area were going for 3500-4000 which is way out of my budget.