Sign in to follow this  

Unusual rear tire wear

My son rides a TTR-110 and the rear tire is wearing in reverse.  The knobs are shorter at the back of the knob than on the cutting side.  Almost like it is being ridden in reverse.  Tires are factory Cheng Shin.  Any thoughts on why this is happening?

You are a mad man on the brakes!  Stop using them and use the gas instead, because the backside of times wear from locking up the rear wheel.

• Like 3

DSCN4809.JPG Wear like this is from heavy road usage. Knobs being worn the other way would indicate the wheel is spinning the opposite direction. Maybe downshifting and not matching revs? Locking up the rear brake? If I had to guess, I'd say the problem is in the seat.

• Like 1

You guys are sooo funny.  Wow.

Lol

Riding on pavement a lot does this.  The knobby touches the ground, but more pressure is put on the knob when it is leaving the ground and rotating upward.  That wears out the backside of the knobs.

Think that is only on front tires?

Mike

Think that is only on front tires?

Mike

I'll double check mine after work, but it's not like the front and rear tires see dramatically different terrain..

DSCN4809.JPG Wear like this is from heavy road usage. Knobs being worn the other way would indicate the wheel is spinning the opposite direction. Maybe downshifting and not matching revs? Locking up the rear brake? If I had to guess, I'd say the problem is in the seat.

Looks like my MT21 on the KLR front. Flipped it and seems to be working.

Mike

I'll double check mine after work, but it's not like the front and rear tires see dramatically different terrain..

I've run countless sets of d606's and now Mt21's on DRZ400, WR450, and the KLR. For me it's always the front only. Kinda like off road tires on a truck. The fronts will scallop if not rotated.

Mike

You guys are sooo funny.  Wow.

Lol

Riding on pavement a lot does this.  The knobby touches the ground, but more pressure is put on the knob when it is leaving the ground and rotating upward.  That wears out the backside of the knobs. 

So you dont know about the special reverse on dirt bikes? You hold it wide open and pop it into second

• Like 1

So you dont know about the special reverse on dirt bikes? You hold it wide open and pop it into second

Hey MMI Grad/YZ 250 Addict--what do you know bout aftermarket hydraulic clutches for YZ 250s?  I've heard about them but nothing more about them.  My buddy's worn out 250 has a gorilla clutch pull, he wants to fix it.

Hey MMI Grad/YZ 250 Addict--what do you know bout aftermarket hydraulic clutches for YZ 250s?  I've heard about them but nothing more about them.  My buddy's worn out 250 has a gorilla clutch pull, he wants to fix it.

He should buy an 80 if he cant pull in a yz250 clutch. All four of my yz250s have been buttery, gentle, soft pulls.

But if he likes bleeding brakes, well i suppose he'll like bleedin that clutch too?

Tried a new cable?  im not a fan o hydraulic clutches. Im old school i guess.

Is this a test? It feels like a test.

• Like 3

He should buy an 80 if he cant pull in a yz250 clutch. All four of my yz250s have been buttery, gentle, soft pulls.

But if he likes bleeding brakes, well i suppose he'll like bleedin that clutch too?

Tried a new cable?  im not a fan o hydraulic clutches. Im old school i guess.

Is this a test? It feels like a test.

No test lol.  I'm pulled on his clutch and even I almost have to use two hands to pull it to the bar.  It's ridiculous.  After replacing the clutch cable its a little better but not a ton. 

I was old school (even though I was born in '85) til I bought a KTM, now I can't shake the juice pull fever.  But my buddy wants to try the Moose Easy Pull system, uses some stiff and some soft springs.

But something internally is wrong with his clutch.  We are gonna disassemble it, while we're in there replace the shifter spline which is stripped. 

what is a good rear tire i should buy for my 07 drz400s? any suggestions? 

You need to specify intended use. For mostly off-road I'd recommend Dunlop 606 or Pirelli Mt21. Ran the 606 on my DRZ and really liked it. The MT21 would be similar.

Mike