Tranny oil in crank housing... Two stroke

Hey guys I just buttoned up a Ktm 150sx new crank. Started first kick. Then it started smoking like

Crazy! Idk what happened but I mixxed new oil 40:1 and it's still

Happeneing so I figured I'd take a look at crank through the reed hole since the hole isn't on the cylinder but straight to the crank. Put finger in and it's yellowy oil. My two stroke oil is blue so I know it's not two stroke... Any suggestions cause I'm rather worried about the labor I may be doing

• Like 1

Hey guys I just buttoned up a Ktm 150sx new crank. Started first kick. Then it started smoking like

Crazy! Idk what happened but I mixxed new oil 40:1 and it's still

Happeneing so I figured I'd take a look at crank through the reed hole since the hole isn't on the cylinder but straight to the crank. Put finger in and it's yellowy oil. My two stroke oil is blue so I know it's not two stroke... Any suggestions cause I'm rather worried about the labor I may be doing

What did you use for assembly , I used competition cams assembly lube building my cr250 smoked like a train for about the first 2 heat cycles . After i got the engine broke in i pulled the whole exhaust and washed it out and cleaned and repacked the silencer. 

What did you use for assembly , I used competition cams assembly lube building my cr250 smoked like a train for about the first 2 heat cycles . After i got the engine broke in i pulled the whole exhaust and washed it out and cleaned and repacked the silencer.

Lube for what

Lube for what

Everything you would normally put oil on , cylinder wall , piston, rod bearings, in between the tranny gears , all the washers against the cases , shift drum bearings it dissolves after awhile just gives a little added protection better than oil at first start up. 

• Like 1

Either the clutch side oil seal or the center case gasket were not fitted correctly.

Exactly.

Replacing the crank with new seals goes hand and hand. if your crank was originally damaged and the crank breaking were also bad it could oval out the seal. Then the new crank won't seal.

I messed up the seal a lil cause I put it in too far and used a flat head to pull it out. Which was my fault. Should I also replace the gasket

just that seal should be fine , drill a tiny hole in it, the metal outer ring and screw a wood screw in it , and pull out with pliers . Grease that crankshaft and seal when replacing i just use a big socket the same size as the outside of the seal and tap it around the outside until flush with the case. Seal grease is best i've used axle grease , assembly lube , vaseline as long as it's heavy and last a while until oil gets to it. 

I messed up the seal a lil cause I put it in too far and used a flat head to pull it out. Which was my fault. Should I also replace the gasket

Sorry you have had all the mishaps and trouble from that rebuild , but i bet you can do it easily on the next one.  ? It will also make you realise why regular oil changes, running a good premix , proper break-in and regular maintenance is so important . Congrats on the first kick startup , you the man  ?

• Like 1

I installed my seal using this method, works great pressing it in even and getting the exact recess

Get the new seal started this way then stack the old seal on top (as Shown is the pick) so you can press the new seal in and be able to recess per service manual

0412141414_zpsfb56728f.jpg

Edited by AXAxiom
  • Like 1