Sign in to follow this  

Anybody else use chatterboxes/headsets offroad?

I have a Sena brand headset, and I've definitely had some times where I wished I could have talked to my riding buddies without stopping. Anybody else use these? What kind do you have?

I don't own one as yet but I have been looking into them. I will also go with Sena. My friend put me onto the idea of headsets. They're a great idea for riding with buddies and not wanting to stop or if they stop for some reason you can know/arrange to meet back up somewhere.

Do these systems work well in the woods? Do they require line-of-sight as many do? What is the range? I would be interested in getting a set of these as well so that when I'm riding with my kids I can stay in contact with them.

Found a test someone did, they say the range was demonstrated out to 1000 ft in an unobstructed environment. Offroad, it sounds like as soon as they go behind a hill, you lose communication. May not be an ideal way to communicate to "home base" or anything like that, but for communicating in a group on the move, they seem like they'd be ideal.

I have a chatterbox duo I use while riding trails. It says up to 200 yards which I would say is correct. In the trees it's a little less but they work great. It mounts inside the helmet good and sound quality is great.

• Like 1

I just don't see much practicality in using a headset. I already have to use earplugs, to save what's left of my hearing. Aside from that, between a competent leader & sweeper, losing anyone in the group should be a rarity. I do think it's a sound idea, but I see another electronic widget broken during a minor get-off.

The headset I have is loud enough I can hear it over my plugs, which is nice. I don't know about it coming off, but it breaks away fairly cleanly if it does have an impact. If I go on a group with someone else who has one, I'll give it a shot.

Preferences
§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt
alt

Preferences

I use a Scala G9 and it works awesome! blue tooth to your phone and other headsets in range( I think its 500m or so). Ive had a few tumbles with it and seems to be holding up pretty well. Not much waterproof testing you can really do out here in the desert but overall I'd say they're worth it.

That was an impressive post, Ryan. My SMH10 is well tested for being waterproof. Drove two hours in pouring rain, and it was playing music the whole time.