Sign in to follow this  

99 250 needs crank seals

Just picked this up yesterday for $850

The guy said it had been sitting two years and the carb needed cleaning and fresh fuel. I was like cool..easy fix and flip.

After removing the carb and cleaning it which was fairly clean I noticed the engine had three bond at the case halves...I was like okay its been gone through recently....I removed the plug and you could see the top of piston was shiny and new..I was stoked....but closer inspection the swing arm was covered in sutty oily stuff.I though man it must be pig rich. Wrong.....After I replaced the fluids and plug I fired her up...The thing smoked so bad I could not see after few minutes and it was spraying black stuff from the open expansion pipe. I thought man is the head gasket blown or what... I removed the head and it was clear. It was sucking tranny oil very badly.

Man I wished kawwy would have used external seals. I hate splitting these things just to replace seals. I had toyed with the idea of removing the lip that holds the seal in and making my own external seal. I know it could be done...but how much work would it take?

The bike is complete besides it was missing the plastic power valve cover and some short dude must have shaved the seat down to almost nothing.

Well I guess I will be going through it sometime but really depressing after thinking I got such a killer deal.

IMG_20140609_085435_000_zpsd8dd3db7.jpg

Wow, that is a killer deal. I hear what you are saying about modifying the housing. That sounds serious. Does the crank bearing have its own step to fit in that prevents the crank from moving off of center? You would not want to take th estep off the seal if that is somehow used to keep the crank centered.

I'm just finished a killer deal for a 99 in parts bike (for painted frame), that was never re-assembled. Of course it had "a new piston", but once I got it together it had only 90 psi compression. So doing a new piston now.

One thought, if the seal lip is pointing towards the outside, then you may have access to the little spring that goes over the seal lip. If so, you can remove by unthreading the the thick section. The trick is to cut the male end of the spring by 1/4" or so and rethread together. This will tighten the lip seal up. This has worked great in certain instances.  It might buy you some time to decide if the bike is worthy of a tear down or to sell off to someone willing to do the work in the future.

Good luck

I think Kawasaki put the seals in the way they did because they usually fail due to excessive play in the main bearings.  Do a full rebuild and you have a good, solid bike you know you can depend on.

mliebal I am pretty certain the crank bearing has its own lip to retain it........ but the seal lip and spring are inward so the seal will have to be replaced. It just sucks kawazaki designed this so you have to split the cases.

I think Kawasaki put the seals in the way they did because they usually fail due to excessive play in the main bearings.  Do a full rebuild and you have a good, solid bike you know you can depend on.

The bike has had the cases split some time..It shows a new wiseco on the top end and you can see three bond on the case halves. I am not certain what the previous history is because the guy I bought it from was the second owner. I do have the original title holders name though so I will inquire more. I have the original title for this bike

Man I wished kawwy would have used external seals. I hate splitting these things just to replace seals.

Reading this I think you need to purchase a 4T. no more messing with them stink crank seals ever again. Four stokes are so easy to fix :lame:

• Like 1

I will take crank seals over timing chains and valve shims anyday..... :p

Update. I did go ahead and split the case........I found a few surprises. I think clyde had already worked on this engine because someone had modified the wet side to accept an external seal.... :jawdrop:

But that was not the issue. At one point it looks like a piston or some debris caused the crank to punch a hole in the case near the top of the trans webbing. I am getting it fixed. by welding the case proper....

OBTW :banghead: ...It also had the wiseco crank in it with disengrating plastic stuffers. I found an OEM and should have it and the rest of parts by next week.

Edited by Blackwoodz