Sign in to follow this  

Well I'm stuck

Hi guys I'm kind of stuck right now.

Got off of a trail and am on a steep side hill. No way down so I have to figure out how to get back up.

I know this is really dumb and I should be ridding with someone.

Thanks

-Colin ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402430331.614404.jpg

Lay it on its side handlebars and seat to the downside, pick it up and push the bars to the upside. Spin it around on its pegs, lift it up and over again. Slow goin, but it will get you there on loose side hills

• Like 5

Thanks slackin that's what I did and it worked like a champ!!

Thanks guys for all your help.

• Like 1

I did a similar thing in Idaho once.  All by myself, slid off the trail.  The harder I tried, the further I went down the hill.  Finally figured a way back up.  It wasn't easy, but it got me there.

• Like 3

I did a similar thing in Idaho once.  All by myself, slid off the trail.  The harder I tried, the further I went down the hill.  Finally figured a way back up.  It wasn't easy, but it got me there.

I did the unthinkable down a dune in Oregon with a banshee. Down was bushes and water, up was 45 degrees of crazy loose sand. 

I have a picture of it buried here somewhere. 

Beautiful area to be stuck. Sexy bike too! I want a 150xc some kind of bad. How is the bottom end power on it?

Today was my first ride on it so I can't really say, but the bottom end is weak but the power is linear once you get it on the pipe. It was not a bad day in the back yard all in all! ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402457950.484620.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402457963.717918.jpg

Happened to me some years back but it was in reverse.  I climbed and climbed until I realized I was in no mans land.  Tried to run down the side of the hill as slow as I could, but it got away from me and I had to let her go.  All I could do is frantically watch my bike tumble and flip down the hill to it's demise.  I think I cried that day.  When I finally climbed back down on foot to my rig, surprisingly the bike survived and made me really realize all the abuse these bikes can take and still keep ticking. :devil: 

• Like 2

Lay it on its side handlebars and seat to the downside, pick it up and push the bars to the upside. Spin it around on its pegs, lift it up and over again. Slow goin, but it will get you there on loose side hills

Thanks slackin that's what I did and it worked like a champ!!

Thanks guys for all your help.

You guys must be extremely strong, or have a different idea than I do of what constitutes a steep sidehill. I can't picture how someone could do this by himself.

You guys must be extremely strong, or have a different idea than I do of what constitutes a steep sidehill. I can't picture how someone could do this by himself.

what are ya gonna do?  Walk out?  The only other thing you can do is disassemble it and carry the pieces back to the trail.  (ask me how I know :) )

A buddy of mine lost a crank way out in the middle of nowhere and had to hike out.  Tried to come back with a bunch of pack horses, but they had issues and couldn't make it in. Tried to get a couple others to help, and they gave up....so one weekend, my buddy recruited a local bodybuilder, myself, an XR400, a long tow rope and a backpack full of beer.

Mission accomplished :)

agreed though, if it's too steep, it's not going to happen.  If it's that steep, you aren't riding it out anyway.   The loose sidehills are where folks get in trouble, think they can get out, but wear themselves out trying.

Edited by Slackkinhard

A trick for getting a bike moving on a steep sidehill is rev the engine with the clutch in, then as you back off the throttle feed the clutch out. That will use the energy stored in the flywheels which is smoother than the pulses of an accelerating engine, and can be more tractable.

Edited by motovita
  • Like 3