Sign in to follow this  

Riding Recovery

When I went Hatfield McCoy over the holiday weekend I stayed in Gilbert WV where they brew the Hatfield McCoy Moonshine

That took away all of the oncoming pain and then some.

The first thing i crave after riding is a steak and veggies. Feels good to put nutrition back into my body after a ride.

• Like 1

Funny, as soon as I saw the title of this thread I was thinkin beer..........

• Like 1

I lose about 4 pounds of water each time no matter how much I drink so I am kinda cautious about dehydration. Just say I had a bad experience with dehydration during a training exercise that happened to a battle buddy.

I lose about 4 pounds of water each time no matter how much I drink so I am kinda cautious about dehydration. Just say I had a bad experience with dehydration during a training exercise that happened to a battle buddy.

I've  posted this story before, dunno where it is.  So here it is again:

Racing in east Texas about 5 years ago, it was a hot day in early May.  After the long course started (about 55 miles in, with another 20 to go), I started cramping hardcore.  Like X rated cramping, guys.  It was terrible.  My throttle hand would cramp on the underside of my forearm, so I'd stop and stretch it out.  Then the top of my forearm would cramp.  There was no fixing it.

Had I known what I know now, I would have just stopped.  It's called hyponatremia, a possibly fatal condition where you sweat out all the salt in your body.  I thought I was just dehydrated so I kept drinking til I was bloated about to puke, but that just made it worse because it further diluted the electrolyte concentration in my bloodstream!!

After talking to my buddy who was a medic for Marines in Iraq (he was a Corpsman in the Navy), I learned the only way to recover from this is to stop sweating.  Yeah, good luck with that in TX humidity and heat.  Now I fill my CamelBak with Perpetuem, an electrolyte compound.  It helps a lot, but you can perspire a lot more than your stomach can assimilate.  That means that you cannot drink as fast as you sweat, and there comes a point you have to stop riding.  Sucks when you were having such a good race!

Brew and lots of Advil to ward the oncoming pain

seems easier to me to just get in shape. 

I'm a spry young 52, and while I very much like beer, i try to make sure get some water and food into me before having too much beer after riding, or else my recovery is delayed. Normally I experience no soreness.

I  do that as well I workout 3 or 4 times a week as well as I cycle in between and Yes I do hydrate always,but that

must be done during and before the ride.Afterwards a good cold beer tastes really good.I too am very careful about 

drinking plenty of water and gatorade.

Swimming is a good way to loosen up the day after riding. If you have easy access to a pool.

Im not a racer, just a casual rider but I used to professionally race all mountain and 4x mountain bikes and some xc 24hour events. Our coach n team captain was mid 50's n still raced and he made us eat steak, eggs, veggies, a powerjell and a beer 3-4 hour's before a race than only water until we rode. Gatorade and powerjell during the race and more steak, eggs, veggies n beer after. It was probably for the best cause nobody ever seemed to get sick on our teams. To this day when I go for a long ride (quads n dirt bikes now) I still do the same and don't cramp or get exhausted nearly as much as the others.

I had the same thing one day but it was my clutch hand. I know about these things you can get called salt tablets that you swallow. I hear the best thing to do to prepare for any hot event is drink a lot of water for 3 days. Then the day before eat pasta along with something salty. Then have a breakfast using salt and drink gatorade with it. Should do the trick.