Trail tech vapour

Im not 100% sure about the vapour but on my voyager the tachometer sensor is just a wire that wraps around the spark plug wire and it's calibrated by entering how many times the plug fires per revolution of the engine. All sensors attach to the gps with a wire clip at the gps so you can leave out the coolant temp sensor if you want.

Edited by woods guy

Talk to Trail Tech.  They offer a temp sensor on their digital fan kit for the X that goes in the drain plug on the radiator.   Not sure if that will work with the vapor or not.  However, be aware this won't give you the correct temp as it's at the coolest part of the rad.   The only way to get the correct temp is to cut the hose before you get to the rad.

And as has been said, the tach pickup is just a wire wrapped around the plug wire.

Jim

I have a Vapor on my X and splicing in the temp sensor is easy; just cut a short section out of the hose going to the top of the left radiator.  All the parts and instructions are in the kit. 

Also as others said just a few wraps of a wire around the plug wire, for the X it is easiest to pull back a rubber on the plug boot, wrap the wire and push the rubber back over the wire, instructions also included.  The backlight power can be just about anything; I put a bare wire end into a DC connector behind the number plate.  The Vapor only draws power when the tach or odo sensors are active.

This is my third Vapor install because they do so much.

Installed the Vapor on my 13 250x 200 miles ago.  It is a slick unit.  Don't be concerned about installing the temp sensor.  Simple with a SHARP knife.  Try to avoid touching the back side of the radiator, though.  Takes no more than a touch to bend aluminum "fins" in radiator.  No harm, but ugly.  Installing the tach is simple.  I pulled a wire connector from the coil (top of spark plug wire), stripped the end of the tach wire back and wrapped tight, multiple times around the base of the coil wire connector. Reinstalled the connector into the coil plug and you're done.  The Vapor instructions show several options, including this.  IMO, this was the cleanest route.  Mounted mine with the Trail Tech aluminum billet protector.  Much preferred this to the plastic handlebar mount that is included with the Vapor.  Included pic of mine, installed. 

IMG_1011.JPG

Nice pictures.

My sensor hook up looks the same as the previous post.

The link in post #8 are the install instructions but my kit includes an extra sheet showing option 4 for the rpm, which I used.

The Vapor draws very little battery power and automatically shuts off after a minute or so of no speed or rpm input. 

Edited by Chuck.

@jcueto1

I think I would put a piece of electrical tape at the top of those connectors coming out of the unit where you put the heat shrink on them.

It's behind the number plate, but still, their pretty high up and with the tops open like that, it's bound to catch some water sooner or later.

Jim.

@jcueto1

I think I would put a piece of electrical tape at the top of those connectors coming out of the unit where you put the heat shrink on them.

It's behind the number plate, but still, their pretty high up and with the tops open like that, it's bound to catch some water sooner or later.

Jim.

I agree I did wrap all those connections in one group with electrical tape when I was done with installing all connections.

I have had my Trail Tech Vapor on my 05 CRF250X for about three years. The Water Temp Sensor is easy to install. Cut the line put on place and clamp. Never had a problem with it. I did find that the positive wire was not long enough. I had to splice and add about two inches. It is likely due to my wire routing. I made sure my wiring was never between the frame and seat or anything else for that matter. I used some shrink tubing at potential chafing points. It took me about three hours to install, but I really took my time and thought about the best wiring routing. To this day it works flawlessly.

FYI, I am going to get one for my KTM125EXC this summer.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a follow up and an FYI on the Vapor.  Over the weekend, mine went haywire.  All LCD fields would fill.  Hitting the mode button corrected temporarilly, but it occurred at increasing frequency.  Turns out the battery installed in the unit was running out of juice.  Replaced it, problem solved.  Battery's supposed to last a year.  Have had my unit only 2 months, but no telling how long it sat on the shelf prior to my purchase. 

I have had my Trail Tech Vapor on my 05 CRF250X for about three years. The Water Temp Sensor is easy to install. Cut the line put on place and clamp. Never had a problem with it. I did find that the positive wire was not long enough. I had to splice and add about two inches. It is likely due to my wire routing. I made sure my wiring was never between the frame and seat or anything else for that matter. I used some shrink tubing at potential chafing points. It took me about three hours to install, but I really took my time and thought about the best wiring routing. To this day it works flawlessly.

FYI, I am going to get one for my KTM125EXC this summer.

ya I'm not worried about the water temp anymore. I originally thought it was just a hole in the line. I had false info