Sign in to follow this  

Castor 927 opinions ?

What do you guys think about castor 927? I use to use honda hp2 but then I switched to castor 927 because I heard it was better but my rod bearing in the middle of the crank recently seized and people say I should use hp2 again? Just tell me what you think about castor 927 and of you've had problems with it

What do you guys think about castor 927? I use to use honda hp2 but then I switched to castor 927 because I heard it was better but my rod bearing in the middle of the crank recently seized and people say I should use hp2 again? Just tell me what you think about castor 927 and of you've had problems with it

Castor 927 is a great oil but just like anything else it has some major downfalls. Most notably castor 927 is probably the dirtiest burning pre mix you could run. This isn't as big of an issue if you are a WFO track rider and do frequent top ends. For any type of woods riding the castor 927 will dirty up your powervalve and load up as well. I switched from 927 to maxima premium 2 and have noticed a vast difference mostly in the cleanliness of the oil and the fact that it really does not load up any more in the tight stuff.

The Honda HP2 stuff you are running right now is also a very good oil as well. Castor will protect your engine better under extreme heat conditions than the HP2 will but that may not be a concern of yours. That being said I don't think you can say without a doubt that 927 would have presented your crank seizure. It could have been caused by any number of things unrelated to the pre mix.

• Like 1

I was running castor 927 when it locked up. You can see where the rod connects to the crank it got hot as hell

I was running castor 927 when it locked up. You can see where the rod connects to the crank it got hot as hell

running 32.1 pre mix ?

running 32.1 pre mix ?

yes 32:1 with 1 gallon of 110 octane I get from a local hp store and 3 gallons of 93 octane
  • Like 1

castor 927 is mitch paytons secret favorite premix. good stuff. and even a "dirty" oil will be pretty clean when the jetting is right on the money. personally i'd run vegetable based oil like 927 at 40-50 to 1 myself because of the tendency to be a little dirtier. did you drain all your old gas and carb before the switch?

Smells good. Tastes like crap though.

I use it cuz i got a jug for free. After a couple really beautiful pistons ive seen, ive been converted to an MC1 fan.

• Like 1

Is you bike jetted for the race fuel?  Most people I have seen with bikes setup for race fuel have gone up a couple sizes on the jets because I guess some race fuels can make the bike run leaner.  Perhaps the bike was running lean which is why the crank failed?  Somebody who knows more about jetting for race fuel can probably chime in.

castor 927 is mitch paytons secret favorite premix. good stuff. and even a "dirty" oil will be pretty clean when the jetting is right on the money. personally i'd run vegetable based oil like 927 at 40-50 to 1 myself because of the tendency to be a little dirtier. did you drain all your old gas and carb before the switch?

i ran hp 2 when I first got it. I've been running castor for awhile now yes I drained it out

Race gas can have an effect on jetting for sure. Even different types of race gas. Ive never seen one grenade though. The worst one i saw was a switch from competition 110 to c12. Ran really rich.

Race gas can have an effect on jetting for sure. Even different types of race gas. Ive never seen one grenade though. The worst one i saw was a switch from competition 110 to c12. Ran really rich.

i guess I can just add a little more oil to my mixture just incase

If you're using 110 you have to jet for it. That and some fuels you can't use with 927, they don't like eachother.

And the "got hot as hell around the big end bearing" is normal. That blue-ing is normally had from assembly

• Like 1

i guess I can just add a little more oil to my mixture just incase

don't jet with your oil. pick one decent oil and mixture ratio and forget about it and never change. jet the bike with jets. or flip flop the oil if you like. even though it's a bad idea it's a free country

• Like 1

don't jet with your oil. pick one decent oil and mixture ratio and forget about it and never change. jet the bike with jets. or flip flop the oil if you like. even though it's a bad idea it's a free country

When my bike needs to be jetted i just move to a different elevation

• Like 3

I am converting over to the Klotz supertechniplate oil.. Cause of the tight track I ride on. But it has 20% castor in it.

don't jet with your oil. pick one decent oil and mixture ratio and forget about it and never change. jet the bike with jets. or flip flop the oil if you like. even though it's a bad idea it's a free country

i don't think it's running lean though sounds a little on the rich side by the way it over revs

When my bike needs to be jetted i just move to a different elevation

that's almost as fast and furious as poking a hole in the reed boot. on craigslist they'd call that an analog power commander.