Sign in to follow this  

Washington Riding capital forest this afternoon

Hey I'm riding capital forest later this afternoon. At from the waddle Creek trail head. Anybody want to ride?

Well I will be riding capital forest at the waddle Creek trail head later today, friday, and Saturday if anybody wants to ride.

3 days in one week sounds like fun.  Can't get away this week because bike is in pieces and I'm in the middle of window upgrades to the house. 

Enjoy

3 days in one week sounds like fun.  Can't get away this week because bike is in pieces and I'm in the middle of window upgrades to the house. 

Enjoy

Haha ya I've got some days off work this week. And I live 5 minutes away from capital forest so why not..

• Like 1

Maybe Saturday :thinking:

Saturday will work for me. I ended up just working on my bike a bit today

Anybody off work and want to go ride capital forest? I've got my bike loaded. Friend and I were going to go ride but he had to bail out at the last minute. I might head up in a bit anyways

Honda424 - Are you the one I talked to at the Littlerock Chevron the other day?  Discussed WA laws and getting your CRF tagged.  Saw you come out a gravel road at the curve on 140th - if that's where you hang your hat then I'm only about a mile from your place along the same road.  I'd like to get out to the Capital Forest trials sometime, just don't want to go out there alone --- I'd get lost in about 5 minutes.

If you have an iphone or smartphone there is a free GPS/map app (Avensa) that you can download, and DNR has a digital CF trail/road map that works with Avensa. 

http://washingtondnr.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/top-5-reasons-to-download-the-new-capitol-state-forest-map-onto-your-smartphone/

Or a Garmin GPS like the 60/76 or 62/78 series and get free trail and topo  maps from Switchback.com, a Shareware site.

http://www.switchbacks.com/nwtrails/

http://www.switchbacks.com/gpsmaps.aspx

Switchback.com is in the process of revising their maps/trails with the latest DNR name changes so you also need to also carry the latest DNR map, published or pdf version. 

Published maps available from DNR online, at local sporting goods stores, and Summit Grocery on Hwy 8 about a mile east of Rock Candy entrance.

DNR pdf version http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/eng_rms_capmapnu_may2.pdf

I also suggest taking a drive on the DNR roads, with maps, to help famililarize yourself with the CF layout. 

I also suggest taking a drive on the DNR roads, with maps, to help famililarize yourself with the CF layout.

Excellent recommendation. It's one I preach for CF. I even carry a 2 gal can of fuel, & vial of premix oil, while I'm doing my trail cam route. So far, 3 riders out of fuel trying to find their way.
  • Like 1

I'd take old and new maps as not all the trail and road signs and numbers have been updated. Had me riding around in the dark fog one night.

I'd take old and new maps as not all the trail and road signs and numbers have been updated. Had me riding around in the dark fog one night.

Oh my, tell me its not true, another adventure in CF because DNR can't coordinate map updates with sign updates, leaving all of us less mortals in the dark.

I hear your pain, my survival the past two years has been because I've only ridden trails that I'm familiar with, and packing both maps.

The good news is most of the signs have been updated and the new maps are avialable.

Lots of dumb deer running around on my last ride so be careful. They would only get out of the way if I honked my horn or yelled.

• Like 1

dnr  told me the new map shouldn't have been released before the signage was done, said the IT dept jumped the gun putting it online.   The other "bad" was my own.  camped up on the mt in a cool secret spot which I don't think your supposed to do. We had trouble finding it again in the dark fog. Wouldn't have been a problem getting back down to the official staging.

Honda424 - Are you the one I talked to at the Littlerock Chevron the other day?  Discussed WA laws and getting your CRF tagged.  Saw you come out a gravel road at the curve on 140th - if that's where you hang your hat then I'm only about a mile from your place along the same road.  I'd like to get out to the Capital Forest trials sometime, just don't want to go out there alone --- I'd get lost in about 5 minutes.

No that would not have been me. Havnt talked to anyone at the little rock cheveron. I ride capital forest a lot though. Be happy to meet up with another person to ride with. I know most of the trails pretty well. I have the same problem though where I like to ride it often but don't have a lot of people to ride with. Send me a message if you want. I will be there possibly tomorrow& thursday, or friday.