Sign in to follow this  

can Roost get a litle ds advise ?

Hey guys, love your site. I have decided to buy a ds and started the search and wound up here, been doin a lot of reading, glad I found yall. As you can see my sig I don't like the smaller units, I'm just to big for them at 6.4 250lb so my question is what are my options on the big bore bikes. I have been around tons of xr600"s so I know a bit about the Honda, and the 650L is very attractive at 6500, I love the looks of the KTM and would go that route but have read they are high maintenance and not really as dependable as the Honda, and very expensive to have worked on IF you can even find somebody to do it. I also like the Husaberg but don't know a thing about it, it kinda looks like my IT, and I think I read on here they are ultra dependable. Some of the others I cant remember their name look to street for me, I still like the dirt bike look, so is the 3 I mentioned pretty much all that's out there, I assume there are lots of mods for the XR to get it up to snuff with the two exotics. I am hoping to get some feedback from guys who have owned the KTM and the Berg and how they compare, the same dealer in Austin carries both but they wont give one the nod over the other. Both the KTM and the Berg look awesome, beautiful bikes to say the least, but I don't want to have to be working on them, I figure I can go cheap and buy the XR and ride it around the planet twice before having to fix anything but it looks old and out of date where the other two look badass. I don't throw near the roost I used to all I want to do is cruise around town, check on my workers, maybe go to my po box, by the bank etc etc thanks for any input...Roost

for some reason my sig"s not on post

82 RM 465

84 RM 500 (mint)

84 IT 490

04 KX 500 x 2 ( one still in crate )

My KTM 450 RFS 07 EXC still runs like a champ to this day. When people mention KTM's when looking into getting a dual sport motos, they say that the reliability is in question and the maintenance is hard. De- mythafied :

I had xr's and the RFS engine is just as reliable.

Maintenance is a smige more but it is a RACE ENGINE. You get much more power and snap than an air cooled engine.

That's my 2 cents. Small rant over.

Edited by pterry
  • Like 1

My KTM 450 RFS 07 EXC still runs like a champ to this day. When people mention KTM's when looking into getting a dual sport motos, they say that the reliability is in question and the maintenance is hard. De- mythafied :

I had xr's and the RFS engine is just as reliable.

Maintenance is a smige more but it is a RACE ENGINE. You get much more power and snap than an air cooled engine.

That's my 2 cents. Small rant over.

man I think those KTM"s look awesome, that's actually my favorite one, I just wasn't sure about the reliable part, I'm good for general maintanience though

What's the other KX500 doing in the crate? Don't like to share?  LOL

Mike

when my dealer told me that was the last of the big KX I bought a lifetime supply

• Like 3

so can anyone tell me the difference between the big Berg and the KTM, that blue looks good. Also do these bikes have a kikstarter, I just cant imagine not having one, what happens when you go down in a big ravine and your battery don't work.

Berg and KTM are pretty much same-same.  Couple of differences, but for the most part it's the same bike at its heart.

And +1 for the RFS's being solid bikes.

My '07 525's on its 5th or 6th teardown, but it's also got 750-something hours with well over 20k miles on it.

Couple of things to change to make it a little more dualsport-happy (replace crank bearings, reroute carb tubing), but other than that it's a great dualsport bike.

Mule, thank for that info. I just called my nearest dealer in Austin and was told he was out of the Berg"s and would not get anymore as they are discontinued for 15. That pretty much leaves me with the XR or the KTM, 3 grand difference in those two but I figure you would have to spend some money to get the XR up to snuff, and it still wouldn't be where the KTM is. I will say one thing for the XR though, there was a guy at the little store I go to putting gas in one that had 7 years and 22k on it and he had never done squat except change oil and clean filter. I have never owned an XR but have several friends who have and they have to be the most bullet proof bikes ever made, hence my opening statement about riding one around the planet twice before you had to work on it. That's big for me as I would have to pay someone for all the teardowns that you mention, and being KTM that would prolly be a bunch of money...Roost

Got some space to do the work yourself?

It's worth the investment in some tools and experience to do the work on your own. 

I don't even wanna think about how much money i'd be forking over to a dealer to have them do a sub-par job on a rebuild to this depth.

Mine right now...

IMG_20140608_172625864_HDR-L.jpg

IMG_20140601_171334006_HDR-L.jpg

jesus man, I cant do all that, I just want to ride around the neighborhood and be able to blast a trail here and there. If I want to get serious I"ll get on my KX, or RM, so you think if I buy that KTM 500 street legal bike I"ll have to go through all this ? At what point, I mean can I put say 3k on it first, don't they come with some kind of warranty on the legal ones. I gotta say that XR may be the one to have unless you can do all that yourself like you do...Roost

Time to reprogram your brain Hugeroost. Don't let a few people's ignorant/narrow-minded/uneducated opinions sway you. That's the main problem with forums is when a few people have a problem or same problem, the topic in the forum starts to flame up with ignorance and suddenly the one to 10 guys' problems become the whole worlds' problems with said machine. A KTM is just as reliable as a Honda or Yamaha, the parts don't really cost more, and you can get a street-legal dirtbike without jumping through a bunch of now-illegal hoops. I have had all brands, and KTMs since the mid 2000s have been quite solid, some motors, of course, better than others. Guys have 200-400 hours on old and modern KTM 4-strokes with no issues. Get a KTM 500 exc and enjoy!

Time to reprogram your brain Hugeroost. Don't let a few people's ignorant/narrow-minded/uneducated opinions sway you. That's the main problem with forums is when a few people have a problem or same problem, the topic in the forum starts to flame up with ignorance and suddenly the one to 10 guys' problems become the whole worlds' problems with said machine. A KTM is just as reliable as a Honda or Yamaha, the parts don't really cost more, and you can get a street-legal dirtbike without jumping through a bunch of now-illegal hoops. I have had all brands, and KTMs since the mid 2000s have been quite solid, some motors, of course, better than others. Guys have 200-400 hours on old and modern KTM 4-strokes with no issues. Get a KTM 500 exc and enjoy!

thanks man thats what I wanted to hear

I have a street ridden KTM 525SX. I change the oil more than an XR owner would, but that's about it. And when I do change the oil, I don't even think it needs it, as you don't have to twist the throttle near as hard to get the bike to perform. Mine has a 6 speed tranny conversion, and I can cruise it down the hwy at around 60mph, and just under 5000 rpm with the 17" supermoto wheels on it. It's a real good bike, and way more fun than an XR

• Like 1

I've owned 37 dirt bikes since 1974.

I've owned just about every brand out there.

When I decided to get a 2012 500 XC-W I had what I believe to be realistic expectations on motor performance, handling, and general rider feedback.

After owning and putting 1,000's of hours on CRFR's, X's, YZ's, WR's, DRZ's, XRL's. XRR's, I have a pretty good idea of what a bike can and should do.

When I bought the KTM, I had to recalibrate my thinking.

Never before have I purchased a dirt bike that was so lacking in performance, especially from a bike with such a high caliber pedigre, price, and finish quality.

I tried everything available to get the bike to run well, and was not sucessful. 

Power was so soft, and the suspension and frame so flexy, the bike was down right dangerous to ride fast.

I convinced myself that I just bought the wrong model, so I sold it ( at a $4200 loss) and bought a used 2012 450 SX-F from Daryll Ecklund. 

After putting in a similar amount of time and money I had a bike that was much better than the 500 XC-W. 

...but the power was still extremely soft on the bottom (unable to climb anything in a high gear), suspension so substandard (after re-tuning)... and handling so attrocouis under power....that I got rid of this one too.

I say all this not as a hater of KTM, but a hater of the people who promote these motorcycles, both riders and magazines, as something they are not.

They are NOT robust, agressive, powerful, or durable.

They ARE lighter, and lighter feeling, and will tire you out much less. 

But I never found a way to ride either of them at the speed of my KX450, CRF450, or even my WR450, without using 20 times more body english and rider feedback.

The issue for me is, KTM's are no fun to ride. All the 'specs' and brand names are there, but it does not add up to a superior bike, but an inferior bike that lighter and cool looking.

I WISH I could like them. I WISH they would handle under power on the rear wheel, on under braking on steep hills. 

But they don't.

Just trying to prevent someone else from making the same mistake I did.

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick
  • Like 1

You need to look at the KTM 690 Enduro R, much less maintenance then the e/xc models.

Kennedy

That's what I'm looking at.

Mike

koolaid, that's one helluva review man, pretty much opposite of everything I"ve read, I like you have had tons of dirt bikes, when I found out they were discontinuing the KX500 I bought two, that's a badass dirtbike, I also keep a CR500 in Miami for when I'm down there. I have never owned a street legal bike though, I have many friends that have had the big XR so I know all about them, bout as low maint as you can get, but this KTM500 just has the look, and the pricetag to go with it. I figure most of my riding will be neighborhood tooling since I have other bikes to ride on dirt, I'm gonna drive to Houston real soon and look at both these units in person and hopefully ride the KTM. I gotta say riding two stroke 500"s for so long has me a bit spoiled...Roost

I've owned 37 dirt bikes since 1974.

I've owned just about every brand out there.

When I decided to get a 2012 500 XC-W I had what I believe to be realistic expectations on motor performance, handling, and general rider feedback.

After owning and putting 1,000's of hours on CRFR's, X's, YZ's, WR's, DRZ's, XRL's. XRR's, I have a pretty good idea of what a bike can and should do.

When I bought the KTM, I had to recalibrate my thinking.

Never before have I purchased a dirt bike that was so lacking in performance, especially from a bike with such a high caliber pedigre, price, and finish quality.

I tried everything available to get the bike to run well, and was not sucessful. 

Power was so soft, and the suspension and frame so flexy, the bike was down right dangerous to ride fast.

I convinced myself that I just bought the wrong model, so I sold it ( at a $4200 loss) and bought a used 2012 450 SX-F from Daryll Ecklund. 

After putting in a similar amount of time and money I had a bike that was much better than the 500 XC-W. 

...but the power was still extremely soft on the bottom (unable to climb anything in a high gear), suspension so substandard (after re-tuning)... and handling so attrocouis under power....that I got rid of this one too.

I say all this not as a hater of KTM, but a hater of the people who promote these motorcycles, both riders and magazines, as something they are not.

They are NOT robust, agressive, powerful, or durable.

They ARE lighter, and lighter feeling, and will tire you out much less. 

But I never found a way to ride either of them at the speed of my KX450, CRF450, or even my WR450, without using 20 times more body english and rider feedback.

The issue for me is, KTM's are no fun to ride. All the 'specs' and brand names are there, but it does not add up to a superior bike, but an inferior bike that lighter and cool looking.

I WISH I could like them. I WISH they would handle under power on the rear wheel, on under braking on steep hills. 

But they don't.

Just trying to prevent someone else from making the same mistake I did.

Ok, lets pick this apart, logically...

You say you've owned many dirt bikes, so, somewhere along the line you've had to sell one or two of them. Taking a 4200.00 dollar loss on (I'm assuming) a new bike, you must have some stupidity issues.

Your TT name is meant to disparage KTM's, so you are obliviously a troll.

Many magazines have tested KTM's against the Japanese brands and most of the time, all brands come pretty close to each other and it usually boils down to rider preference. The ills you perceive your KTM had, most likely, are your own fault.

The 07 EXC won bike of the year in Dirt Rider Magazine. Your comparisons are not specific to model years or modifications.

Brembo brakes are stock on KTM models, which is a top manufacturer for all kinds of professional competitive racing brakes.

You hold no weight because you have no proof except that it is your opinion, and your credentials are erroneous at best. 

So, my conclusion is that you are:

A grossly overweight, under-educated about researching the bike that would suit you best, does not know how to sell motorcycles, and is a TT troll

Edited by pterry

I am very tall, and overweight, and the KTM's 'cab forward' design and extra long swingarm and soft power make riding this bike a pain.

I can't put any weight on the pegs when cornering, because the front end is so light you have to sit on the front of the seat, putting the pegs way behind you.

The power is soft, so you can't use high gears for better traction when climbing. You have to shift a lot.

I was unable to lift the front wheel on a 450 SX-F in second gear without using the clutch! Not acceptable in my opinion.

My WR (full YZ motor ans suspension) and my 450X (full R motor and suspension) are heavier, but everything else about them is better....and both are plated...and both cost under $10k to outfit to completion. The KTM's were up in the $14k range to get them set up, and they never were finished.

KTM did change the frame, linkage, and forks for 2015 on the SXF 450.

Lets hope these changes make it to the other bikes.

I don't know if you ever owned an Audi, Golf, Porsche, or BMW in the 80's...kind of the same thing; they delivered vehicles that were so appealing on so many levels...until you owned one.