Sign in to follow this  

11' 350XCF Idle Screw Does Nothing?

So since I got my 11' 350XCF back in 2011, the idle screw on the throttle body has done nothing.  I was talking to my dealership about this when he was testing my fuel pump for a problem unrelated and he said that my bike idles at rather low rpm's and that it should be able to rev really high by tweaking the idle screw.  On my bike it is possible to turn it both completely counter clockwise and back to full clockwise with it doing absolutely nothing.  Could this be a small gear or something in the throttle body that is messed up or something?  It has been like this since the day I bought it.  Does anyone know how the idle screw mechanism works on these bikes? Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

On the 13/14 it just pushes on the throttle assembly to raise or lower the idle , just like holding the throttle open slightly

Yes I know what it's supposed to do, but mine doesn't do anything.  Literally it doesn't do anything.  My bike idles okay, but I should be able to fluctuate the idle speed with the screw, but the screw does nothing.  I'm just wondering if something is probably mechanically disconnected inside or broken.

Your idle speed should change when u turn it one way or the other,something is not working correctly.Try removing the assy. and take a look at it, my 2011 350 assy. was so dirty I replaced it,if dirt is getting in there I thought the seal was not doing its job,I can adj.my idle,big dif.I would start with the assy. Why didnt the shop turn up the idle?If the idle did not work for the shop they could have let u know!Why were they checking the fuel pump?

Your idle speed should change when u turn it one way or the other,something is not working correctly.Try removing the assy. and take a look at it, my 2011 350 assy. was so dirty I replaced it,if dirt is getting in there I thought the seal was not doing its job,I can adj.my idle,big dif.I would start with the assy. Why didnt the shop turn up the idle?If the idle did not work for the shop they could have let u know!Why were they checking the fuel pump?

The mechanic I work with at my local dealership made note of it to me.  I had already known about the situation.  The fuel pump was for an unrelated problem.  

Im looking at the microfiche for the 2011 throttle body and it shows that the idle screw can be unscrewed out of the throttle body.  Does anyone have any experience doing this? Can I simply take it out without doing anything else or will gas pour out or something?  It doesn't appear as though it is attached to any gears or anything, it looks like it simply opens and closes a gap to allow more fuel to flow.  

Motonack,you can remove it,no gas will come out.Remove it and inspect it,very easy!My bike was at the point were it would not idle,i replaced the assy. Way better,The bike would idle for a few min. but I have been fighting a stalling isuse,at idle and while riding for the past year. Turn counterclockwise to increase idle speed.I run my idle a little high,Air screw all the way out (cc) back in 14/15 clicks.Hope this helps,somewhere to start!

Okay great thank you. Ill be taking it out for inspection once I get the bike all cleaned up. The only thing that is bizarre is that it has done this since day one.