Sign in to follow this  

kind of confused. KTM MXC or EXC

i found a 1997 ktm 300 MXC for $1400 in decent condition , but i was wondering what is the difference between the MXC and the EXC? also would it be too much for a person 5'10 and 120 lb's. any information is greatly apreciated

Edited by jonyboy5

i found a 1997 ktm MXC for $1400 in decent condition , but i was wondering what is the difference between the MXC and the EXC? also would it be too much for a person 5'10 and 120 lb's. any information is greatly apreciated

the mxc has the close ratio gearbox. during that era it may have been the same box as the sx. when I worked at sportsman cycle (99-02) and daryl and brian folks were racing the 300 and 250 respectively, they both used the mxc or sx gearbox because when both were geared to go the same fast top speed, the close ratio box had a much better time pulling the gaps in the higher gears and was much better in the high speed stuff. the mxc was an American market only bike for western style offroad races similar to many converted motocross bikes.  if your not after desert race championships, and especially if the bike is a 300 or 360, the exc box will probably feel more versatile. you didn't tell us wether or not your looking at a 250 300 or 360. and verify the year if it's a 360 cause they got good in 97. the forks are a pain. leaking all the time. weird internals, marginal anodizing, use the accordion boots for better durability. best thing you can do is have racetech convert the cartridge.(not a popular or widely documented mod, paul mentioned this at a seminar in 07 and I had it done by them on one 97 360mxc and I felt it was magic but that's my opinion) don't get this bike if you expect the fork to hold up like Toyota made it. bitchin shock. responds well to careful valving changes. oh and if it has dicks racing stickers on it, run away. this is the ktm era when it was not cool to ride an orange bike fyi. they were a pile of nice parts waiting for someone competent to dial in the bike. ktm didn't have separate departments figuring out settings for different markets like they do now or like the japs have had. they came with weird jetting and weird suspension valving and in fact did kind of suck until these were addressed by the user. feel free to ask more about these "bomber era" (late 80s thru 90s) ktm models. they'r kind of my geekdom. (especially any bikes with the 565 type engine!)

Edited by MrMotorhed

the mxc has the close ratio gearbox. during that era it may have been the same box as the sx. when I worked at sportsman cycle (99-02) and daryl and brian folks were racing the 300 and 250 respectively, they both used the mxc or sx gearbox because when both were geared to go the same fast top speed, the close ratio box had a much better time pulling the gaps in the higher gears and was much better in the high speed stuff. the mxc was an American market only bike for western style offroad races similar to many converted motocross bikes.  if your not after desert race championships, and especially if the bike is a 300 or 360, the exc box will probably feel more versatile. you didn't tell us wether or not your looking at a 250 300 or 360. and verify the year if it's a 360 cause they got good in 97. the forks are a pain. leaking all the time. weird internals, marginal anodizing, use the accordion boots for better durability. best thing you can do is have racetech convert the cartridge.(not a popular or widely documented mod, paul mentioned this at a seminar in 07 and I had it done by them on one 97 360mxc and I felt it was magic but that's my opinion) don't get this bike if you expect the fork to hold up like Toyota made it. bitchin shock. responds well to careful valving changes. oh and if it has dicks racing stickers on it, run away. this is the ktm era when it was not cool to ride an orange bike fyi. they were a pile of nice parts waiting for someone competent to dial in the bike. ktm didn't have separate departments figuring out settings for different markets like they do now or like the japs have had. they came with weird jetting and weird suspension valving and in fact did kind of suck until these were addressed by the user. feel free to ask more about these "bomber era" (late 80s thru 90s) ktm models. they'r kind of my geekdom. (especially any bikes with the 565 type engine!)

appreciate the post, it is a 1997 ktm 300 MXC

Edited by jonyboy5