HID Headlight Options

I was wondering if anyone had any input on dirt bike HID headlight configurations. I was originally thinking about getting a single 8 inch HID race light (Baja Designs or TrailTech). After looking around a bit I'm now thinking of a dual HID configuration. Either two BD 4 inch HID's or maybe even two of there 6 in prerunner HID lights. Does anyone have any input on the pros and cons of a single 8 inch, two 4 inch, or two 6 inch? What would have the best light output? Weight? Versatility in riding situations form high speed Baja to really technical single track? Ease of switching from bike to bike? And if you go with a two light set up I assume its best to go with one flood and one spot?

Edited by 7FIFTY2

This is what I'll be bolting on my YZ. TrailTech HID Extreme Race Light. The lighting is beyond phenomenal. Biggest problem with HID is when they go out, they take a while to come back on again. If I had to do it all over again I might have went with LED. I have never liked the throw of LED though..

9366f988.jpg

Yeah. My big concern with LED right now is that they are like any electronic device these days. You buy it today and in 3 months its ancient technology. You spend $600-$700 for the best and there is something way better way to quickly. 

Can't get away from that.  200 lumen LED's were unheard of 4 years ago, now you can get a flashlight with a Cree 250 in it for $6.  And they're durable (the LED's, that is).

What Monk mentioned regarding HID startup is that the lamps operate somewhat like a carbon arc light.  A LOT of current can be required to start the lamp, as the "trail" of gas that illuminates the thing has to become ionized before it can get glowing really well.  As much as 10 amps or more may be needed, and that usually means a battery.  Once they light up, the current draw can fall back to around 3 amps.  If you stall, and they go out, they need to be restarted again.

LED's are instant, and don't need the big current surge to get going.

Can't get away from that. 200 lumen LED's were unheard of 4 years ago, now you can get a flashlight with a Cree 250 in it for $6. And they're durable (the LED's, that is).

What Monk mentioned regarding HID startup is that the lamps operate somewhat like a carbon arc light. A LOT of current can be required to start the lamp, as the "trail" of gas that illuminates the thing has to become ionized before it can get glowing really well. As much as 10 amps or more may be needed, and that usually means a battery. Once they light up, the current draw can fall back to around 3 amps. If you stall, and they go out, they need to be restarted again.

LED's are instant, and don't need the big current surge to get going.

Yup, I've been in the middle if the forest and crashed, when I hit the starter the place went dark. I has to sit and wait about 30 secs for the lights to be at optimal to ride again....

I built a dual 4" LED light bar for my 450exc with two 27w lights that I got on Amazon for cheap. I got one 60° flood and one 30° spot, wired them so the flood would be my low beam and they are both on for my high beam. They make a ton of light but to be honest, the spot doesn't seem to be any more focused than the flood. I'm going to try a hybrid approach and use a 4" hid in place of my current spot and keep my flood LED. I'm happy to see this thread and more guys messing with high perf lighting on their dirtbikes.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't get away from that.  200 lumen LED's were unheard of 4 years ago, now you can get a flashlight with a Cree 250 in it for $6.  And they're durable (the LED's, that is).

I have a Streamlight Stinger that I keep on the dash of my UPS truck for delivering after dark in the winter. It has a C4 LED that produces 640 lumens, the thing is like holding a little piece of the Sun in your hands when it's dark out. LEDs have made BIG advances in recent years.

I bet adapting a couple of those little LED units would be pretty simple and would make a phenomenal headlight.

• Like 1